We are against honour killing, dress code for women: Khap to SC
- Purnia rally: Modi takes a dig at Nitish, says his PM dream was reason for break up of alliance
- Still no sign of Malaysia Airlines jet lost in "unprecedented mystery"
- Raj Thackeray warms up to Narendra Modi, lets Sena feel the heat
- Uttar Pradesh BJP wants tickets for four riot-accused MLAs
- Haryana, Gujarat top industry-friendly states, Maharashtra among bottom five
In an affidavit filed in the apex court, Sarvjatiya Sarv Khap Panchayat submitted that it has never violated law by passing such orders.
It, however, said it has reservation in same gotra (sub-caste) marriage and submitted that Hindu Marriage Act for debarring such marriages.
"The Sarvjatiya Sarv Khap Panchayat strongly condemns the honour killings and fully assures the administration to assist it in bringing the culprits to book. The Sarv Khap Panchayat also condemns the ban or fatwa etc, regarding the use of mobile and jeans etc, by women/girls as the panchayat respects the rights of individuals," the affidavit said.
It said decisions are taken by khap panchayats like out-of court justice like Lok Adalats and they deliver justice to poor and illiterate people who cannot approach courts.
"Most of the people residing in interior parts are poor and illiterate and have no means to approach the court of law and therefore, they seek justice through their respective khap panchayat/sarv khap panchayat/sarv jatiya sarv khap panchayat," it said.
The affidavit was filed in compliance of apex court's order directing various khap panchayats to respond to a PIL seeking its intervention in restraining them in passing diktats against women.
Earlier, the apex court had said khap panchayats' diktat on dress code for women and asking them not to carry mobiles is unlawful.
The PIL was filed by NGO Sahakti Vahini seeking court's direction to the government to take action against khap panchayats for allegedly harassing and killing couples, particularly women in name of family's honour for entering into inter-caste or intra-gotra marriages.
The apex court posted the PIL for final hearing on March 5.
- Bengal model better than Modi’s Gujarat, says Didi
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- Three RTI activists whom Kejriwal paid homage are alive
- Poojary wins Mangalore primary
- Short change: Health cover for girl child at 50% discount
- Run with the bulls, don’t lose out to foreign investors again
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress