We will wait and see, Rohan Bopanna on Davis Cup
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Kejriwal holds roadshow in Varanasi before filing nomination
- Mulayam Yadav calls Narendra Modi a liar, says he changes 500 kurtas a day
- Bhavnagar model: Muslim buys house, canât move in
- 12-yr-olds also voted in this Bihar village
- Shazia says Muslims should become 'communal' when they vote
Still awaiting the All India Tennis Association's response to their demands, Indian tennis star Rohan Bopanna said he and his fellow revolting players will adopt a wait-and-watch approach before deciding on whether to compete in the upcoming Davis Cup tie against Korea.
"We have to wait and see," was Bopanna's terse reply when asked whether the players, including top singles star Somdev Devvarman, would compete in the tie next month.
"We have not heard anything from the AITA. I think when somebody makes some points it is important. Nobody writes an e-mail without importance attached to it," said the player on why it was important for specific demands to be sent to AITA.
His comments came after a major controversy broke out in Indian tennis after top players threatened to boycott next month's Davis Cup tie against South Korea if their demands were not met.
Among the demand raised by the players are replacement for non-playing captain S P Misra and national coach Nandan Bal. The players have also asked for a physiotherapist's induction in the squad.
"We are looking for betterment of tennis. It is not about whether you can point out your demands only when you have achieved something. At the end of the day, we are there to make the sport grow and the youngsters benefit from it," he said.
"We want youngsters doing well and coming up through great systems like they have in the US or Europe where the Federations support all the players and help them in a big way.
"You see Czech republic won the Fed cup, Hopman Cup and Davis cup and such things help the Federation and the players, who are working as a team. Therefore, the youngsters would like to move up in their careers," he added.
- Missing plane MH370: Australia plans to use system that found Titanic
- Nandurbar helps me win in Gujarat, it will now help me win India: Narendra Modi
- Run Away Style
- Stakes high for AIADMK, DMK as TN goes to polls
- Six Bengal constituencies go to poll tomorrow in second phase
- Whistleblower alleged kickbacks, favours in ‘thin client’ procurement; NDA never completed inquiry