What is wrong if Azam Khan is frisked, asks UP minister
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Polling stopped in Pune booth due to faulty EVMs
- âWonât be vindictive... will ask Supreme Court to clear MP, MLA cases in a yearâ
- Alagiri backs âgreat manâ Modi as PM
- Plea to vote for âsecular partyâ splits Bollywood
- âWe gave instant justice, todayâs youth canât stand up for their mothersâ
Taking a different stand from his party, Uttar Pradesh minister Devender Gupta today said there was nothing wrong if his cabinet colleague Azam Khan was frisked at a US airport.
The UP minister for solar energy said even former President APJ Abdul Kalam was frisked last year and Bollywood actor Shah Rukh Khan was detained for over two hours at a New York airport.
"Who is Azam in front of them," asked Gupta. He was here to attend a meeting of traders this afternoon.
Frisking at airports was a practice exercised to ensure safety in the US, and as per their rules, Azam was rightly subjected to it, he said.
Azam, a senior leader of the ruling SP in UP and also the Urban Development minister of the state, was detained for about 10 minutes at the Boston airport for "further questioning" after he landed in a scheduled British Airways flight from India.
SP today said the detention Azam at a US airport was fallout of a "weak" foreign policy of the country.
"The US should be told that such discriminatory actions would henceforth not be tolerated," a spokesman of the party said.
- Activist, her aide booked for cheating in attempt to frame acquitted murder accused
- Extended Monorail running hours fails to pull crowd
- HC orders action against Essel World for causing harm to mangroves
- Cops crack bar girl’s murder case after waiter’s tip-off
- Railway to provide plastic pouches for commuter IDs
- Last safety check for Metro to begin April 18