When I bat with him, I like to be the non-striker: Sachin Tendulkar on Virender Sehwag
- Naxal threat has to be quashed with a firm hand, says Pranab, as Maoists kill 16 in Chhattisgarh ambush
- Malaysia military tracked missing plane to the west coast
- AAP defends Rs 20,000 per person dinner with Kejriwal, says it was transparent
- Bhagwat cautions RSS cadres against crossing limits for BJP
- Narendra Modi's new found love for Bihar a ploy to win votes: Nitish Kumar
As Virender Sehwag prepares to play his 100th Test, Sachin Tendulkar talks about what makes the opener special
The first time I got to meet Viru properly was during the tour of South Africa (2001) and that is when I actually saw him bat. I had heard from a lot of players about a certain Virender Sehwag, who they said was an interesting player. Over the years, I have really enjoyed batting with him because he is a different player, one who has a free bat swing, has an attacking instinct and is always looking to rotate the strike.
There is no doubt that when you bat with him, he eases the pressure on you. When I am batting with Viru, I like to be at the non-striker's end. Even if you ask Rahul (Dravid), he will tell you the same thing. When he is batting he sings a lot, which is something I don't do. But if we have a good partnership, he does crack jokes.
Ahead of his debut series, I asked Viru if he was tense. He said, 'yes, I'm a little bit'. I told him not to worry and 'just enjoy your game because this moment won't come again in your life'. I have been told many times that there is a similarity between us. Viru used to wear the same Moran pads and a similar helmet and from what I have heard he had modeled his batting according to my style. He has produced many brilliant knocks and the one that stands out for me is his century (151 off 236 balls) at Adelaide in the second innings. That knock stood out because he played with a lot of patience.
Viru's game has allowed the Indian team to attack from the beginning. I believe his promotion from the middle-order to an opener has worked wonders for him. There are many more fielders in catching position at the start of an innings and in such a situation, Viru has produced brilliant shots and many a times I have seen opposition teams set defensive fields for him at the start, which is a rarity.
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- Kejriwal Gujarat tour: The unfamiliar politician | The Indian Express