When I start doing calculations, I finish faster than my staff, says Gohalwaria
- Election LIVE: Will Kejriwal take on Modi? Announcement likely at Bangalore rally today
- Missing flight MH370: Focus turns to pilots as hunt for jet widens
- Aam Aadmi Party fundraiser collects Rs 50 lakh, Arvind Kejriwal quizzed about attack on media
- The trophy state: Behind Mizoram's clean sweep lies an extraordinary league
- Manish Tewari unlikely to contest Lok Sabha polls
If Mayor H S Gohalwaria is to be believed, his clerical staff is upset with his super calculating skills. When he calls the staff for a meeting or to review files, he finishes calculations faster than his staff and is even quick to find an error in calculations.
The mayor shared this at a function organised by NJ's Brilliant Brain Abacus at Maryland Palace located on Dugri road. An inter-school competition was organised by NJ's on December 29 in which about 650 students participated. Out of them, 220 got prizes.
Gohaliwaria, however, was surprised to see the quick oral calculations of the small children. While the teachers were giving oral sums to the kids as a part of demonstration, he was also solving those sums at the same time. "I left a few seconds behind these mini-computers. The formulas being taught to them for calculations are helping them solve the sums quickly. Such opportunities were not available in our times. I am amazed to see the talent in kids these days. Even the parents are also equally aware to provide the right direction to their kids as per their abilities," he said.
Later, talking to Ludhiana Newsline, the mayor said, "My staff often feel awkward when I start doing calculations for them, but I finish earlier and I tell them to be fast next time. I do agree that mathematics phobia needs to be taken out of the kids' brains which can help them a lot in the rest of their lives."