When Rahul Gandhi got angry at CBI for Kumar Mangalam Birla FIR
- What signal is Obama administration sending by selling more F-16 fighter jets to Pakistan?
- PM Narendra Modi inaugurates 'Make in India Week' in Mumbai
- JNU student leader held on ‘sedition’ charges over Afzal Guru event
- JNU arrests over Afzal Guru event are ill-judged, threatens basic rights
- Live updates from the David Headley deposition before Mumbai court
Rahul Gandhi was upset at the CBI for filing an FIR against industrialist Kumar Mangalam Birla for alleged irregularities in allocation of two coal blocks in Orissa.
He made his displeasure known to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, who spoke up in defence of Birla.
Besides being a well-respected industrialist, Birla also happens to be a benefactor of Rahul's constituency, Amethi.
Earlier this month, Rahul and Birla shared the dais in Jagdishpur, Amethi, at the foundation-laying ceremony of a mega food park.
The park is being established by Indo Gulf Fertilisers, part of the Aditya Birla Nuvo group, with an investment of Rs 200 crore.
The venture is expected to provide infrastructure for food processing, including cold storage and warehousing. It will not only benefit farmers in the region but also provide employment.