When Rahul Gandhi got angry at CBI for Kumar Mangalam Birla FIR
- PDP, BJP seal alliance to form government in Jammu & Kashmir
- RK Pachauri, accused of sexual harassment, quits UN climate change panel
- Centre's land bill is anti-farmer, says Kejriwal at Anna protest rally
- SpiceJet launches low-fare offer for Holi; one lakh seats on the block
- BJP defends Bhagwat, claims Mother Teresa admitted she was not a social worker
Rahul Gandhi was upset at the CBI for filing an FIR against industrialist Kumar Mangalam Birla for alleged irregularities in allocation of two coal blocks in Orissa.
He made his displeasure known to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, who spoke up in defence of Birla.
Besides being a well-respected industrialist, Birla also happens to be a benefactor of Rahul's constituency, Amethi.
Earlier this month, Rahul and Birla shared the dais in Jagdishpur, Amethi, at the foundation-laying ceremony of a mega food park.
The park is being established by Indo Gulf Fertilisers, part of the Aditya Birla Nuvo group, with an investment of Rs 200 crore.
The venture is expected to provide infrastructure for food processing, including cold storage and warehousing. It will not only benefit farmers in the region but also provide employment.