Why Bihar is special
- Delhi: Multi-vehicle pileup on NH-1 leaves at least five dead
- Siachen avalanche: Air pocket under 35 ft of snow kept Lance Naik Hanumanthappa alive
- Facts dispute claims by banks: write-off gallops, recovery crawls
- Upset allies Akali Dal and Shiv Sena let BJP know: Keep us in loop
- David Headley deposition adjourned for the day following technical glitch
With its current financial capacity (including transfers from the Centre) and the extant policy bias, Bihar would continue to experience a development slump. Even doubling the current transfers would not be enough to enhance its development prospects. To bring it on par with other states, Bihar would need special policy incentives to attract private investment. This calls for nothing less than special category status.
The writer is member-secretary, Asian Development Research Institute (ADRI), Patna