Why Bihar is special
- Fresh tremors felt in Nepal as death toll crosses 4,000 mark
- Nepal Earthquake: At Kathmandu Airport, a bit of panic, a lot of paranthas and puri
- Paid Rs 320 for a bottle of water, Nepal quake survivors recall the horror
- Nepal earthquake: First hand account from a mountaineer
- Even moderate tremors can cause heavy casualties in Delhi: Experts
With its current financial capacity (including transfers from the Centre) and the extant policy bias, Bihar would continue to experience a development slump. Even doubling the current transfers would not be enough to enhance its development prospects. To bring it on par with other states, Bihar would need special policy incentives to attract private investment. This calls for nothing less than special category status.
The writer is member-secretary, Asian Development Research Institute (ADRI), Patna