'Why Hemant Karkare family's NOC needed to set up NGO in his name?'
- Narendra Modi new talking point in Tamil Nadu, but few say they will vote for him
- 78 pc turnout, but few can show ink mark
- Giriraj Singh stands by his Pak remark; BJP dissociates itself from him
- Pratapgarh Dalits angry with Mayawati, Muslims feel âunsafeâ
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Bismillah Khan's family says no to propose Modi's name
The Bombay High Court has admitted a petition challenging the decision of the Charity Commissioner to reject a proposal for registration of a social organisation in the name of Hemant Karkare for want of no-objection
certificate (NOC) from the family of the late IPS officer.
The petition has been filed by Rais Ahmed. On February 8, while admitting the petition for final hearing, Justice R S Gavai asked him why he wanted to name the organisation after Karkare.
Ahmed replied that Karkare, the then chief of Maharashtra ATS, laid down his life for the country fighting the terrorists during the 26/11 Mumbai attack, and a social body in his name would be a fitting tribute to him.
The Assistant Charity Commissioner had rejected Ahmed's proposal to register the organisation as 'Shaheed Karkare Educational and Welfare Society' for want of a NOC from Karkare's family.
Ahmed's petition before the High Court says that the Assistant Charity Commissioner should have initiated an inquiry into the proposal and satisfy himself that it was for
a good cause, but instead, the officer rejected it on the ground that an NOC had not been obtained.
Ahmed's case is that Karkare was a martyr and "an illustrious son" of the nation, so there was no need for the assent of his family. When an organisation is named, for
instance, after Mahatma Gandhi, the authorities do not seek NOC of Gandhi's heirs, his petition points out.
The state government is yet to file a reply. The petition would come up for further hearing in due course.
- 21-year-old dies in road mishap, one injured
- Ask Badals where is Ludhiana Metro: Bhattal to locals
- Arrests in priest murder case divide Catholic Church
- Short Change: EPFO to allot permanent account number to active subscribers by Oct 15
- India Inc profit set to grow, but margins under pressure
- Mulayam: Will amend Constitution for Muslim quota