Why impose Sec 144, asks V K Singh
- LIVE: Lok Sabha passes Telangana Bill, Jagan calls for bandh across Andhra Pradesh
- Your ministers used to throw dust, now they're using pepper spray to fool people: Modi to Cong
- Rajiv Gandhi's killers get relief, Supreme Court commutes death penalty to life
- Seven Naxals killed in police encounter in Gadchiroli
- Interim Budget 2014: Economy headache for next government
Lathicharge stops Jantar Mantar crowd from heading to India Gate
Just like at India Gate, protests seeking justice for the 23-year-old gangrape victim turned violent at Jantar Mantar on Sunday. Former Army Chief VK Singh and Baba Ramdev shared a dais and spoke to protesters at the venue.
When the crowd of nearly 500 people tried to join protesters at India Gate, police resorted to a lathicharge to stop them.
In response, Gen (retd)V K Singh said, "I appeal for peace and ask why Section 144 has been implemented. Why stop us from going to India Gate? This is only a silent protest. The police and the government seem to be against the people. Police action should never have happened."
While Singh left soon after his speech, Baba Ramdev and his supporters remained at Jantar Mantar till 5.30 pm.
In his speech, Ramdev said, "Police are raining blows on innocent protesters and the government calls people like me deshdrohi. We demand fast-track courts. We will not stand and watch while the women of our country are shamed like this."
Other than representatives of Ramdev's Patanjali Yogpeeth and Bharat Swabhiman Trust, panchayat leaders from various gram sabhas from western Uttar Pradesh and Haryana also made their presence felt.
Sandeep Yadav, a protester from Rohtak, said, "Rape is a heinous crime and we need to increase awareness both here and in our villages. If things like this can happen in Delhi, then they can happen anywhere else in the country."
- ‘Job target now hinges on manufacturing’
- Murder of Sahu siblings: Court says convict to be in jail for ‘the rest of his life’
- Inauguration drama: Amid BJP’s boos and barbs, mayor stars in second act
- Police’s grievance cell flooded with complaints from cops, 15 in past year
- NDA lodges FIR after cadet goes missing, he returns to tell cops he missed family
- Allow us to install gates at Narmada dam, you take credit: Modi to Centre