Why is Narendra Modi hiding his wife's name, asks Digvijay
- India’s surgical strikes along LoC show intent to act strongly against terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls up Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror'
- PM Modi holds Cabinet Committee on Security meeting; Rajnath, Jaitley, Doval present
- Narendra Modi's review meet on MFN status to Pak postponed to next week
- Day after sharing terror information with Pakistan, NIA revises details
Criticising Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi for calling Minister of State for HRD Shashi Tharoor's wife a "50-crore girlfriend", Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh on Thursday asked the former to reveal his marital status.
Claiming that he had never made personal attacks, but was now being forced to do so after Modi's comment, Digvijay Singh said: "Why is Modi is silent about his wife's name? If you can visit You Tube and search Narendra Modi's wife, you will find the name Yashoda Ben as his wife."
Digvijay Singh further claimed that Modi's remark was not just limited to Tharoor and his wife, but it was an attack on all women.
"Narendra Modi is now trying to move out of Gujarat and become a national leader. So, he now talks less about Gujarat and talks more on national issues. He uses objectionable words against national leaders, I condemn it," he said.
"The comment that he made against Shashi Tharoor was not against him, but against the entire woman community," he added.
He also justified Tharoor's reply that Modi doesn't know how to love a woman.
In an apparent attack on Tharoor's wife Sunanda Pushkar, Modi at an election rally on Monday said: "Wah kya girlfriend hai. Apne kabhi dekha hai 50 crore ka girlfriend?" (What a girlfriend? Have you ever seen a 50-crore girlfriend)?"
- Let’s not allow debate about what it means to be Indian to be held hostage to jingoists and bigots
- Telescope: From Fawad Khan to Kalki Koechlin, journeys to keep an eye on
- Shouldn’t weekly off day be a matter of choice, instead of being dictated by law?
- India’s search for alternatives to regional forum must quicken
- Struggle against caste system & capitalism are inextricably linked
- Power struggle within weakens Samajwadi Party already undergoing an identity crisis in UP