Why RIM matters
- Cauvery row: Can't release water till December, Karnataka tells SC
- India beat New Zealand by 197 runs in Kanpur Test, take 1-0 series lead
- ISRO successfully places SCATSAT-1, seven other satellites in orbit
- Shahabuddin bail case: Supreme Court adjourns hearing for Wednesday
- SC refuses urgent hearing on PIL seeking to declare Indus Waters Treaty unconstitutional
This reviewer has seen videos of upcoming BlackBerry 10 developmental phones and can testify the palpable excitement compared to existing platforms. For example, the browser is fully HTML 5 compliant and smokes out its competition in various parameters. RIM has also conducted extensive jam sessions across the world with a high level of developer interest and participation, and it is expected that atleast 90% of top selling apps on Android and iOS platforms is going to be present at BB 10 launch.
In terms of hardware, we have hit the law of diminishing marginal utility. It is impossible to discern differences between multi-core processors or screen resolution, unless you wish to have crowing rights. This reviewer strongly feels that its underlying OS that makes BlackBerry stand apart from other commodity phones. For example, BB 10 has Hub to have all messages in unified inbox; an excellent and refined implementation of "lifestream"; described by The Register as "brutally utilitarian". You can "peek in" to incoming notifications without loosing focus on current task.
QNX is able to multitask to open multiple applications with an overlay and not "in-and-out experience" as for others. BB 10 allows "home" applications to be set apart from "work" space with a clear divide between them. A time shift camera taking multiple pictures allows you to choose the perfect shot. Touch screen keyboard, bane of other platforms, has "heat sensing algorithms" to accurately place individual keystrokes and phenomenal adaptability for predictive input surpassing it's iconic physical sibling. The desktop application has also been revamped to interface and back up BB 10.
RIM is likely to rise like a phoenix from the ashes. The current platform is a testimony to incredible thought process; a boon for hyper connected successful individuals. BB 10 promises to be a refined alternative to Apple and Android. This reviewer is excited with possibility of granular productivity enhancements in developed feature set, a promise of excellent hardware exceeding current phones; a testimony to the wizards from Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.
- Loud jingoism and war talk erode India’s credibility
- Phenomenon of the non-academic VC is part of a wider crisis of the university
- PM Modi must recognise Pakistan’s gameplan, and respond at a time and place of India’s choosing
- The government has failed to provide the right incentives to farmers
- The advent of the Fadnavis government in Maharashtra Marathas’ political hegemony
- Across the aisle: In search of a Pakistan policy