Why the President addresses Parliament
- Eden to Eden, IPL Eight wonder
- Jayalalithaa announces welfare schemes worth Rs 1800 crore
- Heat wave continues to torment India; death toll rises to 368
- Will work towards abrogating Article 370 when we have numbers in Parliament: BJP
- Mathematician John Nash, who inspired 'A Beautiful Mind', killed in car crash
What is the status of other legislative announcements by the President since 2009?
RTE ACT: UPA II has passed the Act, providing every child between the age of six and 14 with the right to free and compulsory education. By March 2013 all schools were to conform to the minimum standards prescribed, but states have expressed concerns over their
LAND ACQUISITION BILL: It was introduced in 2011 and the standing committee has given its recommendations on various issues in the law. The government has approved changes and listed it for passing in the upcoming session.
PENDING: Anti-corruption legislation in terms of setting up a Lokpal and Lokayuktas, protection of whistleblowers and enforcing judicial standards and accountability are all pending in the Rajya Sabha.
AWAITING DISCUSSION: Legislation overhauling direct taxes and introducing the goods and services tax, introduced in Parliament, have not yet been discussed in either House.
Prepared by Jhalak M Kakkar, Source: PRS Legislative Research