Why the President addresses Parliament
- Live: Hurriyat hardliner Masarat Alam's release rocks Parliament, Cong seeks PM's statement
- Dimapur lynching: On social media, first ‘rape’, then ‘Bangladesh man’
- Seconds before being stabbed, Indian techie called husband to say she was being followed
- Land acquisition debate: ‘They gave us a window, then went back to 1894’
- Beef ban may spell doom for Dharavi leather trade
What is the status of other legislative announcements by the President since 2009?
RTE ACT: UPA II has passed the Act, providing every child between the age of six and 14 with the right to free and compulsory education. By March 2013 all schools were to conform to the minimum standards prescribed, but states have expressed concerns over their
LAND ACQUISITION BILL: It was introduced in 2011 and the standing committee has given its recommendations on various issues in the law. The government has approved changes and listed it for passing in the upcoming session.
PENDING: Anti-corruption legislation in terms of setting up a Lokpal and Lokayuktas, protection of whistleblowers and enforcing judicial standards and accountability are all pending in the Rajya Sabha.
AWAITING DISCUSSION: Legislation overhauling direct taxes and introducing the goods and services tax, introduced in Parliament, have not yet been discussed in either House.
Prepared by Jhalak M Kakkar, Source: PRS Legislative Research