Why the President addresses Parliament
- Malaysia Airlines plane may have turned back before vanishing, says Air force chief
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress
- Varanasi seat row: RSS worried but believes BJP will solve it
- Subrata Roy arrest row: The not-so-beautiful story
- Vajpayee wanted Modi to quit over Gujarat riots, but party said no: Venkaiah Naidu
What is the status of other legislative announcements by the President since 2009?
RTE ACT: UPA II has passed the Act, providing every child between the age of six and 14 with the right to free and compulsory education. By March 2013 all schools were to conform to the minimum standards prescribed, but states have expressed concerns over their
LAND ACQUISITION BILL: It was introduced in 2011 and the standing committee has given its recommendations on various issues in the law. The government has approved changes and listed it for passing in the upcoming session.
PENDING: Anti-corruption legislation in terms of setting up a Lokpal and Lokayuktas, protection of whistleblowers and enforcing judicial standards and accountability are all pending in the Rajya Sabha.
AWAITING DISCUSSION: Legislation overhauling direct taxes and introducing the goods and services tax, introduced in Parliament, have not yet been discussed in either House.
Prepared by Jhalak M Kakkar, Source: PRS Legislative Research