Wife of Kingfisher technician allegedly commits suicide
- Thousands turn up at Narendra Modi's Varanasi roadshow, BJP's PM candidate files nomination papers
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Congress moves EC over Modi's roadshow in Varanasi
- From Marandi vs Soren to Deora vs Sanyal: Top 5 battles in Lok Sabha polls Phase 6
- Rahul Gandhi joins sister Priyanka in attacking Narendra Modi on snoopgate
- Elections 2014 Phase 6 LIVE: Slow voting in Mumbai, UP records 24 % in first four hours
The 45-year-old wife of an employee of crisis-ridden Kingfisher Airlines today allegedly committed suicide, apparently depressed over financial stress due to non-payment of salary to her husband and fear of the airline being shut down.
Susmita, the wife of Manas Chakravarti who is a technician with Kingfisher, was found hanging from the ceiling in her DDA flat in south-west Delhi's Manglapuri at around 1:30 PM.
She was rushed to a nearby hospital where she was declared brought dead.
A suicide note purportedly written by her was recovered from the spot in which she spoke of being under financial stress due to non-payment of salary to her husband.
"In the note, she said that her husband has not got salary for the past four-five months and that she was unable to cope up with the situation," A K Ojha, Additional Commissioner of Police (South-West), told reporters.
She also expressed fear that the company may be closed down and her husband may lose his job. In the note, she also said that no one else was responsible for her taking the extreme step.
She is survived by her husband, who retired from IAF and then joined the airline, and an 18-year-old son who is pursuing BTech from a college in Assam.
The body has been sent for postmortem.
Facing a financial crunch and with engineers and pilots going on strike demanding payment of salary since March, the carrier had declared a partial lockout.
In her suicide note, Susmita said her husband and son are "very caring" and she loved them.
"My husband works with Kingfisher and they have not paid him salary for the last six months. We are in acute financial crisis and I am committing suicide," the note said.
It was neighbours who found that she had committed suicide after Manas informed them.
- At least 65 EVMs replaced in six Lok Sabha seats in Assam
- Twitter cofounder talks of 26/11, Indian farmers in new book
- UP records over 24 pc voter turnout till 11 AM, 20 per cent turnout in Chhattisgarh
- Arvind Kejriwal lashes out at BJP for attack on Somnath Bharti
- ANF official accused of killing youth a gallantry award winner
- Maharashtra: Poor turnout till 9 am in third phase of polling