Will crack down on sexual harassment: SSP
- Naxal threat has to be quashed with a firm hand, says Pranab, as Maoists kill 16 in Chhattisgarh ambush
- Malaysia military tracked missing plane to the west coast
- AAP defends Rs 20,000 per person dinner with Kejriwal, says it was transparent
- Bhagwat cautions RSS cadres against crossing limits for BJP
- Narendra Modi's new found love for Bihar a ploy to win votes: Nitish Kumar
Admitting that certain loopholes in the system had prevented police from registering sexual harassment cases before September, 2012, Chandigarh SSP Naunihal Singh on Monday said that police have now decided to crack down on such cases.
"Now the situation has changed and since then till February, 2013, around 340 girls have filed complaints related to sexual harassment. After verification, around 115 have been registered and almost 125 boys are facing trial," the SSP said. He was the chief guest for the evening session of Virasat - a cultural function - being organised by GGDSD College, Sector 32.
Earlier in the day, while inaugurating the function, Prof Naval Kishore, Dean of the College Development Council (DCDC), said that it was very important to blend tradition with modernity and impart cultural values to the younger generation
The function, which witnessed scores of cultural events, began with singing and solo dance competitions. They were followed by a fashion show with Saibul winning the Mr Virasat competition and Khyati walking away with the Miss Virasat crown.
The second round of events dwelt on theme of respecting women. Students performed a skit showing the evils of sexual harassment while another skit slammed honour killing.
At the fag end of the day, the star cast of the new upcoming punjabi movie Pooja Kiven Aa were also present in the college.
- School kids ‘adopt’ spotted deer at Sanjay Gandhi National Park
- Jain trust gets HC caveat to ordain minor as sadhu
- Time to help Zaheer make the decision: Prasad
- BMC in a ‘tearing’ hurry as poll code kicks in
- Two men shot at in Tilak Nagar, different versions puzzle police
- Shami makes most of lively wicket
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- Kejriwal Gujarat tour: The unfamiliar politician | The Indian Express