Will fight with your voice, Shah Rukh Khan on gangrape victim's death
- PM Modi should resign if he can't ask four ministers to step down: Congress
- Lalit Modi names 2 Indian, 1 West Indian cricketer who were bribed
- Kerala bar bribery case: Relief for Mani as anti-corruption body decides against chargesheet
- No charging check-in baggage: Government on budget airlines' move
- Delhi court allows TERI chief R K Pachauri to travel to USA
"I am so sorry that I am a part of this society and culture. I am so sorry that I am a man. I promise I will fight with your voice," said superstar Shah Rukh Khan as he joined other Bollywood personalities to mourn the death of 23-year-old gangrape victim on Saturday.
The victim was taken to Mount Elizabeth Hospital in Singapore for further treatment after her condition deteriorated. She was being treated at Delhi's Safdarjung Hospital after being brutally assaulted on the night of December 16 in South Delhi.
"We couldn't save u but wot a big voice u have, u brave little girl. That voice is telling us that rape is not an aberration, not a mistake. Rape embodies sexuality as our culture & society has defined it.
"I am so sorry that I am a part of this society and culture. I am so sorry that I am a man. I promise I will fight with ur voice. I will respect women, so that I gain my daughter's respect (sic)," said SRK, 47, who is father of son Aryan and 12-year-old daughter Suhana.
The heinous incident has triggered nationwide outrage with people taking to streets to demand death penalty for the criminals and better safety laws for women.