Will fight with your voice, Shah Rukh Khan on gangrape victim's death
- HSBC Indian list just doubled to 1195 names. Balance: Rs 25420 cr
- Manjhi expelled, Nitish stakes claim to form govt in Bihar
- Hanging of Afzal Guru was 'wrong' & 'badly' handled, says Shashi Tharoor
- Have given it my all, not nervous about result: Kiran Bedi
- Japanese girl allegedly raped by tourist guide in Jaipur
"I am so sorry that I am a part of this society and culture. I am so sorry that I am a man. I promise I will fight with your voice," said superstar Shah Rukh Khan as he joined other Bollywood personalities to mourn the death of 23-year-old gangrape victim on Saturday.
The victim was taken to Mount Elizabeth Hospital in Singapore for further treatment after her condition deteriorated. She was being treated at Delhi's Safdarjung Hospital after being brutally assaulted on the night of December 16 in South Delhi.
"We couldn't save u but wot a big voice u have, u brave little girl. That voice is telling us that rape is not an aberration, not a mistake. Rape embodies sexuality as our culture & society has defined it.
"I am so sorry that I am a part of this society and culture. I am so sorry that I am a man. I promise I will fight with ur voice. I will respect women, so that I gain my daughter's respect (sic)," said SRK, 47, who is father of son Aryan and 12-year-old daughter Suhana.
The heinous incident has triggered nationwide outrage with people taking to streets to demand death penalty for the criminals and better safety laws for women.