Will fight with your voice, Shah Rukh Khan on gangrape victim's death
- Coal scam: Ex-PM Manmohan Singh summoned as accused in Hindalco case
- Supreme Court hands out life term to six convicts in Manjunath murder case
- AAP Delhi MLAs write letter seeking expulsion of Yadav, Bhushan: Reports
- Land to Mines to coal, Oppn stands stall in RS
- BJP line to restive RSS: our ministers may quit if PDP doesn’t behave
"I am so sorry that I am a part of this society and culture. I am so sorry that I am a man. I promise I will fight with your voice," said superstar Shah Rukh Khan as he joined other Bollywood personalities to mourn the death of 23-year-old gangrape victim on Saturday.
The victim was taken to Mount Elizabeth Hospital in Singapore for further treatment after her condition deteriorated. She was being treated at Delhi's Safdarjung Hospital after being brutally assaulted on the night of December 16 in South Delhi.
"We couldn't save u but wot a big voice u have, u brave little girl. That voice is telling us that rape is not an aberration, not a mistake. Rape embodies sexuality as our culture & society has defined it.
"I am so sorry that I am a part of this society and culture. I am so sorry that I am a man. I promise I will fight with ur voice. I will respect women, so that I gain my daughter's respect (sic)," said SRK, 47, who is father of son Aryan and 12-year-old daughter Suhana.
The heinous incident has triggered nationwide outrage with people taking to streets to demand death penalty for the criminals and better safety laws for women.