Will not give land for building Muslim Varsity: BJP
- Day after Rahul Gandhi slams PM Modi, Amit Shah condemns politics over surgical strikes
- Prohibition to stay in Bihar: SC stays Patna HC judgment setting aside liquor ban
- US says does not support declaring Pakistan a 'terrorist state'
- Talk on stage at Parrikar event: 200 killed, atom bomb vs atom bomb
- Hurricane Matthew: Haiti death toll rises to 339, deadly storm hits Florida
Ruling BJP in Karnataka today said it would not provide land for setting up of Tipu Muslim University proposed by the Centre in Srirangapatna taluk of Mandya district, alleging it will become a "breeding ground for anti-national elements".
However, Union Minister for Minorities Welfare K Rahaman Khan said the University would be established.
"The state government will not provide land for setting up of Tipu Muslim University proposed by the union government in Srirangapatna for it will become a breeding ground for anti-national elements," Karnataka BJP Spokesperson and MLC G Madhusudan told reporters at Mysore.
Reacting to Madhusudhan's statement, Khan told reporters at Mangalore that "is Madhusudhan an authority by himself? We have taken a decision. We will do it (set up the University)."
Madhusudhan alleged a separate varsity for minorities would not augur well as it would vitiate peace and breed anti-national elements.
He charged the union government was playing vote-bank politics to appease some "anti-social" organisations run by minorities.
- Revealing Elena Ferrante’s identity violates her desire for privacy
- Breakdown of LoC ceasefire will make it difficult for army to control infiltration
- Academic publishers suit shows how much they benefitted from intellectual commons
- Lack of unity has prevented Sindhi nationalists from pressuring Islamabad
- India must be prepared to deal with a disease that is growing globally
- Challenge for India’s leaders is to show that strength can be blended with subtlety & deftness