Will oppose move to lower age of consent for sex: RSS
- Naxal threat has to be quashed with a firm hand, says Pranab, as Maoists kill 16 in Chhattisgarh ambush
- Malaysia military tracked missing plane to the west coast
- AAP defends Rs 20,000 per person dinner with Kejriwal, says it was transparent
- Bhagwat cautions RSS cadres against crossing limits for BJP
- Narendra Modi's new found love for Bihar a ploy to win votes: Nitish Kumar
Slamming the government move to lower the age for consensual sex, RSS today said it was socially unacceptable and it would oppose the measure.
"The age for marriage for a girl is 18 but the government wants to give legal consent for sexual relations before marriage by lowering the age to 16. It is not acceptable and RSS will oppose it," said RSS leader Bhaiya Joshi.
The Criminal Law (Amendment) Bill, 2013 proposes, among other things, to lower the age of consent for sex from 18 to 16 years, a move that has been opposed by various sections, including Muslim groups.
Briefing the media upon the conclusion of a three-day apex body meeting of the organisation called Akhil Bhartiya Pratinidhi Sabha, Joshi said a resolution on the issue of persecution of Hindus in Pakistan and Bangladesh had been passed during the conference.
"RSS wants the government to intervene to ensure safety of Hindus in Pakistan and Bangladesh, (draft) a national refugee relief and rehabilitation policy assuring dignified living conditions for all Hindu refugees from the two countries and (secure) compensation in both countries for displaced Hindus," the resolution demanded.
Joshi said the meet also saw a review of various activities undertaken by RSS over the last year.
"We are satisfied that the number of RSS shakhas is increasing in the country and around 2,000 new shakhas were opened in the last one year," he said.
He added that the RSS was conducting Hindu awareness programmes and activities directly and indirectly at 45,000 locations across the country.
Over 1,350 members participated in the meet which was inaugurated by RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat on March 15 in Jamdoli, about 20km from here.
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- Kejriwal Gujarat tour: The unfamiliar politician | The Indian Express