Winter rain to boost production of wheat and coarse cereals: Pawar
- Not RSSâ job to chant âNamo, Namoâ, canât cross limits for BJP: Mohan Bhagwat
- Missing Malaysia Airlines: âFakeâ passports mystery deepens
- Mocking Nitishâs âPM hopesâ, Modi woos Muslims, Yadavs
- Arvind Kejriwal accused of influencing TV interview
- Dalit teen canât pay to cheat in exam, immolates himself
Rains in north India are expected to help winter crops such as wheat and coarse cereals, which is likely to boost the country's foodgrain production to 250 million tonne during 2012 -13, agriculture minister Sharad Pawar said on Wednesday.
"Rains during the last few days will help some rabi crops, though they may have an adverse impact on production of oilseeds," Pawar said.
There were reports of moderate to heavy rains in Punjab and Haryana on Wednesday.
Foodgrain production was reported at an all-time high of 257.44 million tonne in the 2011-12 crop year (July-June) on the back of record output of wheat and rice.
The sowing of rabi or winter crops has picked up pace in the last few weeks. As per data released by ministry of agriculture last week, rabi crops such as wheat, coarse cereals, pulses and oilseeds have been sown on more than 60.2 million hectare against 60.8 million hectare during the same period last year. This is a decline of 3.3% from the previous year.
Area under wheat, the key rabi or winter crop, has gone up to 29.76 million hectare in comparison to the normal sowing pattern of 28.53 million hectare during the same time of the year.
- Eight held for ‘attacking’ Dalit wedding procession in Sabarkantha
- 90 airports on alert to check movement of cash ahead of elections
- Notices to 23 hospitals for withdrawing facility
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- In Mumbai, teacher’s love story with student ends in her arrest
- Govt dismisses AAP allegations
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress