- Missing AN-32: All leads have turned out to be bad, says Manohar Parrikar
- 7th Pay Commission: Govt issues notification, relief to lakhs of central govt employees
- Kashmir unrest: Barring Anantnag, curfew lifted from all parts; schools remain shut
- At least 19 killed in knife attack at facility for handicapped in Japan
- Delhi: Auto rickshaw, taxi strike hits commuters hard in the city
With the city experiencing cold wave conditions, doctors say exercising precaution can help combat common problems this season
Brittle nails, chapped lips and dry skin : it's the time of the year when taking care of your body is of utmost importance. Not only are cold and flu common, but the season also brings scaly, itchy skin along with it. "During winter, atopic dermatitis is very common and so people more prone to fungal infections," says Dr Ashish Bhosekar, a doctor in Moshi.
The skin becomes very dry, scaly and it loses its moisture since the protective cover is removed. During winters a tip in hand is to avoid using face wash or soaps which are harsh on the skin. Dr Bhosekar suggests that for proper care of the skin, people should apply face wash for about a minute, not for a long time and use it regularly. Dandruff is also common during the season but can be prevented by using ointments, shampoos and medications given by the doctor.Dietary plans also get affected and should be controlled since one tends to get hungry often and hence measures like taking dinner early will help to keep the balance. If eating habits are not under control it might lead to an increase in weight and will pressurize the joints in the body, according to Dr Dinesh Kabre, an orthopaedic specfialist at Kabre Accident Hospital in Nigdi.
More exercises and keeping yourself warm are the best bets during winter. Dietary intake should be maintained with more milk, calcium and vitamin supplements."Winter makes people moreenthusiastic and hence it's a good opportunity to go out, walk or jog for at least 45 minutes, which will help circulation," says Dr Kabre.Arthritis patients tend to complain of aches more during winters. Doctors advise to not get up from bed immediately and to do warm up exercises which help decrease the pain. A lukewarm fomentation on the affected part will also help during this season. A good precaution is to regularly take the medicines and also stress on physio-therapy which can do wonders for arthritis patients.Winter is the season of concern for most of the asthma patients since the condition is exacerbated with higher chances of allergic reactions. Patients are more prone to acute attacks and they require specialcare."The pharynx is more vulnerable to the cold air which stimulates allergic reactions triggering asthma attacks. Even the incidence of heart attacks and paralysis increase during the winters," explains Dr Tushar Tonde. Avoiding cold items like ice creams and cold drinks will help keep common cold and flu away.The best way to stay fit this winter is proper care and nourishment of the body. Exercises, being hydrated and moisturized along minimum use of water can help you keep you body and mind fitthis winter.
- BJP was not dependent on Dalits to win Gujarat. But the apathy may cost in other states
- Jayalalithaa and Mamata defend Mayawati, recast politics on gender lines
- The Worship of False Gods
- As Trump’s support cuts across traditional lines, Hillary Clinton has a tough task
- SH Raza He was the last of Progressive Artists’ Group titans. Only the Bindu remains
- The recent violence against Dalits in Gujarat is a fallout of the Sangh Parivar’s diktats on food