Wipro to acquire Singapore FMCG firm for $144 m
- David Headley connects the dots: Hafiz Saeed, ISI, failed Mumbai attacks
- David Headley: Travelled to India 8 times, changed name for passport
- Rs 1.14 lakh crore of bad debts: The great government bank write-off
- Caste came up in 3 suicide probes at Hyderabad University
- Uttar Pradesh has been turned into 'Islamic state': Sena mouthpiece on Ghulam Ali concert
Wipro on Saturday announced the acquisition of LD Waxson Group, a Singapore-based FMCG company, for $144 million in an all-cash deal, expanding the non-IT business portfolio of the soap-to-software conglomerate.
The transaction, which is expected to close in the next 60 days, will give Wipro Consumer Care and Lighting (WCCL) a leading position in the facial skincare market in Malyasia and Singapore, besides expanding its presence in China. The revenue of LD Waxson on a run-rate basis for FY12 is around $68 million, according to a release.
LD Waxson Group, founded in 1985 by Dr Tor Lam Huat, has its operations in Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Hong Kong and China. Its market reach also extends to more than 15 countries and regions, including US, Europe, Japan, Middle East and South East Asia. In Singapore alone, the company has a distribution reach across 800 retail outlets.
Commenting on the transaction, WCCL president Vineet Agrawal said, "We welcome LD Waxson Group to the Wipro family. We have a great track record of successful acquisitions, including Unza and Yardley. We see LD Waxson as a good strategic fit. This transaction helps us consolidate our successful facial skincare business in Malaysia to a dominant leadership position, and moves us to market leadership in Singapore as well."
LD Waxson operates in different segments like skincare, bodycare, haircare, kids, and has certain well known brands such as Bio-essence, Ginvera and Ebene.
Dr Tor Lam Huat , chairman of LD Waxson Group, said, "We are happy to join Wipro, a company that shares our passion in developing brands, driven by consumer insight and innovative marketing and have seen their success in this region."
He further said, "We are confident that with Wipro's marketing expertise and extensive distribution network, together we will be able to take Bio-essence, Ginvera and other brands to new heights."
- Government must resolve growing burden of non-performing assets
- Outrage over police assault on students is meaningless
- Right to a toilet: For the health, dignity and safety of women in slums
- Raja-Mandala: Maritime India versus Continental Delhi
- The Akhilesh-Mulayam duet
- We have turned our back to the intense food and drinking water distress