With 26,500 criminals’ database, Haryana sets up first Pehchan Kaun Police Post
- Tanzanian student was not stripped, paraded naked: K'taka Home Minister
- National Herald case: Sonia, Rahul Gandhi move SC challenging Delhi HC order
- Budget session of Parliament to begin on Feb 23; Jaitley hopeful of GST
- Suspended UP chief engineer Yadav Singh arrested, Congress, BJP say probe links
- Will stand by Pakistan if it acts on terror: Rajnath Singh
In A first, the Haryana Police on Monday set up "Pehchan Kaun Police Post", a mobile fingerprint scanner, in Karnal district to keep an eye on suspected persons and people with criminal records entering the state from the border.
The scanner was set up on the Karnal-Uttar Pradesh border in Manglora — connected with western UP border. The history of 26,500 people with criminal records in Haryana and Uttar Pradesh in regard to incidents of chain snatching, theft, burglaries, murders, dacoities and rapes have been stored in the scanner.
Any person entering Karnal from UP through the border in Manglora will be stopped by the police and asked to go through a fingerprint scan. In case a person has a criminal record, the scanner will furnish his entire history. The police have recently purchased 65 such scanners to be installed on all border check posts.
Inaugurating the police post in Manglora on Monday, Laik Ram Dabas, State Crime Records Bureau Director said: "These scanners, to be installed in all districts, capable of curbing crime and detect criminals with the help of fingerprints. Today, Karnal became the first district where this system was inaugurated as a pilot project. These days, district and inter-state criminals are active. So, it almost impossible for a local policeman to recognise such criminals. This device is thus the need of the hour."
He added: "Every person has distinct fingerprint. A person with a criminal history can be instantly recognised by this scanner. It is a tendency of criminals to commit a crime in one state and escape into another bordering state. Such devices will discourage criminals from entering Haryana."
- Modi’s Idea of India - 2
- Rohith’s despair speaks of the collective failure of the teaching community
- Mehbooba Mufti has held out CBMs for the BJP-PDP coalition
- What if we cannot poke a little innocent fun at one another
- Outcome on Section 377 will depend on composition of the Constitution bench
- Inadequate staff, payment delays undermine MGNREGA in drought-hit Mahabubnagar