With eye on 2014 LS polls, Vinod Khanna back at Gurdaspur
- Mahad bridge collapse: Naval locates wreckage of two buses under water
- Stop sympathising, act against Dalit attackers: Mayawati tells PM Modi
- Raghuram Rajan: Ready to stay a bit longer to complete bank 'clean ups'
- Singapore tribunal reveals how Ranbaxy ‘buried info on fraud, duped its owners’
- Minister of State floats a new bogey: Intellectual terrorism
The 2014 Parliamentary elections may be far away, but a race of kinds for the BJP ticket from Gurdaspur constituency has already begun. Actor and three-time Member of Parliament from Gurdaspur Vinod Khanna and industrialist and BJP national executive committee member Swaran Salaria are staking claim to the seat.
Vinod Khanna, who lost in the 2009 Parliamentary polls to Partap Singh Bajwa of the Congress, has started a flurry of activity at the constituency in the recent past. After attending a Bharatiya Janta Yuva Morcha (BJYM) rally in the constituency, Vinod Khanna on Sunday took time off and reached Batala and Qadian to visit the families of victims of Gastroenteritis and the man killed in fire cracker factory, respectively at both places.
"This is my karma bhoomi. I have been three-time MP from Gurdaspur. I would love to contest from Gurdaspur again this time. It is the love of the people that binds me to this constituency," Khanna said, after interacting with family members of some victims.
Swaran Salaria, when contacted, said he was made the BJP in-charge of assembly constituencies falling under Gurdaspur and had helped the party win three out of four seats it contested.
- All parties meet about Kashmir. But are they prepared to hear the Kashmiris?
- Wang Yi’s Delhi visit is an occasion to start a conversation with Beijing
- India needs to build legal expertise to press its case in international maritime disputes
- Blockchain and distributed ledger technology can make the state more accountable
- She has not let anyone down. The people of India have let down Irom Sharmila
- Triple talaq: Indian Muslims must find a solution in accordance with the teachings and spirit of Islam