With eye on 2014 LS polls, Vinod Khanna back at Gurdaspur
- Missile Technology Control Regime welcomes India as full member
- Who will replace Raghuram Rajan? Shortlist narrowed down to four, officials say
- Lionel Messi retires: Have we seen the last of Argentina's 'second best'?
- Under attack from Subramanian Swamy, Arun Jaitley wants party to act
- 2008 Malegaon blasts case: When five witnesses became two and gave new versions
The 2014 Parliamentary elections may be far away, but a race of kinds for the BJP ticket from Gurdaspur constituency has already begun. Actor and three-time Member of Parliament from Gurdaspur Vinod Khanna and industrialist and BJP national executive committee member Swaran Salaria are staking claim to the seat.
Vinod Khanna, who lost in the 2009 Parliamentary polls to Partap Singh Bajwa of the Congress, has started a flurry of activity at the constituency in the recent past. After attending a Bharatiya Janta Yuva Morcha (BJYM) rally in the constituency, Vinod Khanna on Sunday took time off and reached Batala and Qadian to visit the families of victims of Gastroenteritis and the man killed in fire cracker factory, respectively at both places.
"This is my karma bhoomi. I have been three-time MP from Gurdaspur. I would love to contest from Gurdaspur again this time. It is the love of the people that binds me to this constituency," Khanna said, after interacting with family members of some victims.
Swaran Salaria, when contacted, said he was made the BJP in-charge of assembly constituencies falling under Gurdaspur and had helped the party win three out of four seats it contested.
- The crowd that pushed for Brexit doesn't have a clue on the road ahead
- The ‘ADM Jabalpur’ judgment in the backdrop of Emergency remains a blot
- Modi govt's efforts for NSG membership are worth following
- Providing basic income guarantee to all citizens would be prohibitive
- Panikkar’s was uniquely Kerala theatre and, therefore, truly national
- Donald Trump could lead the US back to a past it had moved on from