With Shivpal at helm, kin, friends tighten grip on cooperative sector
- Jigisha Ghosh murder case: Two convicts get death sentence, life imprisonment for one
- Ban pellet guns in Kashmir, Omar Abdullah-led delegation asks PM Modi
- PM Modi, Afghan President Ghani jointly inaugurate renovated Stor Palace
- AAP doesn't have money to fight election: Kejriwal
- Kicking off UP poll campaign, Mayawati slams BJP-RSS, SP, is soft on Congress
Recovering from the stigma of multi-crore NRHM scam, the Akhilesh Yadav government has already allotted projects worth several crores. PACCFED has been assigned to construct 28 health centers estimated to be worth
Rs 42 crore under the NRHM scheme. Another Rs 100 crore has been sanctioned for construction of godowns in several districts under cooperative department.
Earlier, the works were allotted to contractors without any tendering and were issued advance payment. Most of them did not complete the work on time. In the absence of any checks, the quality of work was bad. There was also siphoning of money. Babu Singh Kushwaha, who has since been arrested, was the co-operative minister. The CBI, which is investigating the NRHM scam on the order of the Allahabad High Court, has chargesheeted four officials of PACCFED, including then MD V K Choudhary, Superintendent Engineer A K Srivastava, Chief Engineer M M Tripathi and Assistant Engineer Vipul Gupta, besides Kushwaha.
Another Yadav kin likely to get top post
- Cow protection, paradoxically, poses a threat to the BJP’s project of Hindu unity
- The government needs to distinguish between crooked NGOs and genuine ones
- India’s quest for Olympic medals is hampered by history and geography
- The Modi government is meeting its development targets before time
- Raja Mandala: The Great Wall of China
- Farm incomes may not revive despite good monsoon