Woman alleges attempt to murder by in-laws
- Quota row: Curfew imposed in Gujarat's Mehsana district
- Indrani Mukherjea, former Star TV CEO Peter Mukherjea's wife, arrested on murder charge
- India's population 121.09 crore; Hindus 79.8 pc, Muslims 14.2 pc: Census
- Kejriwal meets PM Modi, talks about better Centre-State relation
- BJP registers comfortable win in Bengaluru civic polls, setback for Congress
A woman accused her in-laws of trying to kill her over the issue of dowry, in Ludhiana on Monday. Gargi, daughter of Ved Prakash, has alleged that her husband and in-laws tried to kill her after her family failed to meet their demand for more dowry. The woman alleged that the area police were not taking any action against her in-laws, a charge denied by the police, who have claimed that they found no evidence to corroborate the woman's claims.
Gargi said , "I got married in 2009, and within a few months, my in-laws and my husband starting beating me. They even tried to feed me poison-laced breakfast in July this year. My brothers are settled abroad and my in-laws wanted my father to send my brother-in-law abroad as well. For the purpose, my father gave them Rs 2 lakh."
Meanwhile, Salem Tabri SHO Nirmal Singh said, "The allegation that the complainant's case was not registered is completely false. This case falls under the jurisdiction of Salem Tabri. Then why did she go to Haibowal Kalan and Janakpuri? We went to take her statement on July 19, but her parents said she was depressed. They assured us of registering a complaint later but that never happened."