Woman alleges rape, 2 accused found dead
- Telangana is India's 29th state as Rajya Sabha passes Bill amidst chaos
- Centre files petition in SC for review of its verdict on Rajiv Gandhi killers
- Tribal activist Soni Sori, ex-Infosys CFO V Bala join Aam Aadmi Party
- Supreme Court stops Tamil Nadu from freeing three Rajiv Gandhi killers
- Andhra: Three girls of a family abducted, set ablaze by uncle
Barely hours after they were accused by a 35-year-old Dalit woman of gangrape, two men in their early twenties were found dead on railway tracks in Rohtak district of Haryana on Friday.
Although police termed the deaths as suicide as the two were ashamed after being confronted by family members, there was tension in Ajayab village. Members of the Jat community — to which the two belonged — accused the Dalits of killing the two and dumping the bodies on the tracks. The autopsy reports were awaited.
Sandeep (23) and Sunil (24) were among five persons accused by the woman, a mother of four, of gangraping her early Thursday.
According to the woman, she was sleeping with her children at her home when the five barged in around 1.30 am and raped her. She named four persons — her husband's cousin Fauji, Sonu, Sandeep and Sunil. The fifth accused, later identified as Samundar, has been arrested. Fauji and Sonu are absconding.
Rohtak Superintendent of Police Vivek Sharma said: "Five persons were involved in the alleged gangrape. Initially, the victim identified two of the accused. Today, when we got her statement recorded before the Magistrate, she identified four out of five accused. She could not recall the other two names — that of Sunil and Sandeep — earlier as she was traumatised. "
The woman was sent for medical examination at the Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Rohtak. During her examination, doctors did not find any struggle marks on her body, sources said. Final reports are awaited.
Initial investigations point to some contradictions in the woman's version. Her eldest daughter, who is around 12, told the police that her mother had gone out of home Wednesday night, contradicting the woman's version. Also, the police were examining the claim that her children were asleep beside her as she was raped in her one-room house.
- LS polls: Cong playing wait-and-watch game in dozen-plus seats in state
- ‘Rs 2.3 cr spent on bungalow for former Prez, but that’s no loss to exchequer’
- 9 illegal immigrants working on Army premises nabbed
- BJP’s Saurashtra unit split wide open over former minister’s snub
- Modi: Happy that my speeches contribute to nation’s coffers
- The regressive state