Woman beaten to death in Bihar for ‘adultery’
- Highest earners in 75% rural households earned below Rs 5K: SECC
- Ex-RAW chief's revelation: Congress seeks PM's apology for Gujarat riots
- Hema Malini's car accident: Victim's family upset with BJP MP
- Kandahar operation: BJP dismisses ex-RAW chief's claims of 'goof-up'
- Gujarat HC dismisses petition against PM Narendra Modi for filing defective affidavit
Members of a village panchayat in Purnea, Bihar, allegedly beat up a woman to death recently for committing "adultery". The police have termed the death as occurring under "mysterious circumstances" but said they are questioning the panchayat members.
Tiyarpara panchayat, which held a meeting last week, reportedly found "evidence" that Bibi Shehzadi, 30, had an extra-marital affair. The panchayat allegedly ordered death sentence for her. Shehzadi, mother of three, was allegedly beaten to death in public but no villager of Asiyani, about 340 km from Patna, informed the matter to the police fearing panchayat backlash. Purnea SP Amit Loha, while confirming that the woman was killed in full public view, did not confirm panchayat's involvement.