Woman beaten to death in Bihar for ‘adultery’
- Gandhi vs Gandhi: Priyanka slams Varun, says LS poll not a family tea party
- Supreme Court grants recognition to transgenders as third category of sex
- SC rejects Kejriwal's plea to stay trial in defamation case filed by Kapil Sibal's son
- Unethical, betrayal: Prime Minister Manmohan Singhâs daughter voices family anger
- Modi equates Rahul with kids, says âtoffeeâ has caught his fancy after âballoonâ
Members of a village panchayat in Purnea, Bihar, allegedly beat up a woman to death recently for committing "adultery". The police have termed the death as occurring under "mysterious circumstances" but said they are questioning the panchayat members.
Tiyarpara panchayat, which held a meeting last week, reportedly found "evidence" that Bibi Shehzadi, 30, had an extra-marital affair. The panchayat allegedly ordered death sentence for her. Shehzadi, mother of three, was allegedly beaten to death in public but no villager of Asiyani, about 340 km from Patna, informed the matter to the police fearing panchayat backlash. Purnea SP Amit Loha, while confirming that the woman was killed in full public view, did not confirm panchayat's involvement.
- Modi wave is a myth, says Siddaramaiah
- In Mandya, discordant notes in show of Cong unity
- ‘Fakir’ Jankar takes on Pawar might in battle against ‘dynasty’
- Ballot paper in Braille to help blind persons cast their vote
- AAP volunteer attacked
- 64-year-old fights for Punjabi language, gets little support from political parties