Woman beaten to death in Bihar for ‘adultery’
- Lok Sabha proceedings washed out as Opposition adamant on Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhra Raje's resignation
- BJP counters Congress with ‘sting CD’ on Uttarakhand CM’s aide
- Nitish Kumar to welcome PM Modi, attend programmes too if invited
- Speaker Sumitra Mahajan's warning of 'disciplinary action' irks opposition
- Lt Governor Najeeb Jung calls DCW chief's appointment illegal
Members of a village panchayat in Purnea, Bihar, allegedly beat up a woman to death recently for committing "adultery". The police have termed the death as occurring under "mysterious circumstances" but said they are questioning the panchayat members.
Tiyarpara panchayat, which held a meeting last week, reportedly found "evidence" that Bibi Shehzadi, 30, had an extra-marital affair. The panchayat allegedly ordered death sentence for her. Shehzadi, mother of three, was allegedly beaten to death in public but no villager of Asiyani, about 340 km from Patna, informed the matter to the police fearing panchayat backlash. Purnea SP Amit Loha, while confirming that the woman was killed in full public view, did not confirm panchayat's involvement.