Woman beaten to death in Bihar for ‘adultery’
- Yeddyurappa among 52 Bharatiya Janata Party candidates for Lok Sabha polls
- Malaysia Airlines plane with 5 Indians onboard missing, presumed crashed off Vietnam coast
- No compromise with live-ins or gay rights, moral values supreme: RSS
- Ink attack on AAP leader Yogendra Yadav at Jantar Mantar
- RSP quits LDF, to go alone in Lok Sabha elections
Members of a village panchayat in Purnea, Bihar, allegedly beat up a woman to death recently for committing "adultery". The police have termed the death as occurring under "mysterious circumstances" but said they are questioning the panchayat members.
Tiyarpara panchayat, which held a meeting last week, reportedly found "evidence" that Bibi Shehzadi, 30, had an extra-marital affair. The panchayat allegedly ordered death sentence for her. Shehzadi, mother of three, was allegedly beaten to death in public but no villager of Asiyani, about 340 km from Patna, informed the matter to the police fearing panchayat backlash. Purnea SP Amit Loha, while confirming that the woman was killed in full public view, did not confirm panchayat's involvement.
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today