Woman councillor, daughter found dead
- JD(U) rules out tie-up, Lalu starts own campaign, clock ticks down for Congress
- In UP, Modi takes on Mulayam, says SP misleading people under veil of secularism
- Rahul Gandhi's ordinance shortcut loses way
- Vigilance complaints pile up as Delhi Police doesnât know password
- Defence Ministry orders CBI probe into purchase of Rolls Royce engines by HAL
26-yr-old Satyam Yadav found hanging, brother alleges foul play, in-laws deny allegations; police call it murder-suicide.
A young Congress councillor from Nangloi (West) and her year-old daughter were found dead at their home on Thursday morning. Police said it appeared that Satyam Yadav (26), councillor from Ward C-43, strangled her daughter Vanshika and then used a dupatta to hang herself from a ceiling fan.
Satyam's family, however, alleged foul play and levelled serious charges against her in-laws .
Police found Satyam's body on the floor of her bedroom — in a sitting position with her back to the bed. The dupatta was around her neck and the other end was tied to the fan. Police suspect the weight of the body pulled it down to the floor.
Vanshika, who was found unconscious on the bed, was declared dead at the hospital.
Police said Satyam and her husband Pawan, a teacher in a primary school, stayed on the second floor of House No. 96 in Nangloi. Her in-laws — Satyawati Devi and Lalu Ram Yadav — live on the first floor and there is a guest room on the ground floor.
Satyam, who would have turned 27 on Friday, was a post-graduate in English literature and had a B.Ed degree.
Police said Pawan left the bedroom around 11.30 pm on Wednesday to check on his mother who was unwell. He decided to sleep on the first floor to look after her.
According to police, Pawan went up to the second floor room around 7 am on Thursday and knocked on the door. There was no response. After he returned, his sister went up. She, too, got no response, police said. Family members then forced open the door.
An inquiry into the deaths has been initiated. SDM Hukum Chand said: "The statements of the in-laws and family members have been recorded. An investigation is underway."
- War in Congress: Old soldiers fight Rahul brigade | The Indian Express
- ‘Allegations against Somnath Bharti prime facie correct, police justified in refusing Khirki Extension raid’
- Clash of the stalwarts: Uttar Pradesh set for Modi, Kejriwal rallies today
- Won’t return to NDA even if Narendra Modi is not PM candidate: JD(U)