Woman gangraped in Gurdaspur, five arrested
- 'Shahzada' and 'Matashree' are only concerned about being in power, says Modi; Sonia harps on secularism
- Supreme Court commutes death penalty of Devinderpal Singh Bhullar to life term
- Arun Jaitley rules out Modi's apology on 2002 Gujarat riots
- Former Pak President Pervez Musharraf indicted in treason case
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Modi accuses the Congress of misusing money in Arunachal; Kejriwal to meet L-G Najeeb Jung
In a case similar to the gang-rape of a paramedic student in New Delhi, a 29-year-old woman was allegedly gang-raped by seven persons here.
The victim, a resident of a Ghukla village under Kahnuwan police station, was on way to her village in a bus when the driver and conductor kidnapped her and took her an undisclosed location where they and their five accomplices gang-raped her last night, SSP Gurdaspur Raj Jeet Singh told reporters.
The SSP said five of the seven accused had been arrested while two unidentified persons were still absconding. He said that based on the interrogation of the five accused, efforts were on to arrest the remaining accused.
The victim in her complaint said that she was coming from her parents village Jagatpur district Pathankot in a bus but the driver Daler Singh did not stop the vehicle at the bus stand in the village.
Her request to conductor Ravi to ask the driver to stop the bus went unnoticed.
They took her to some place near Gurdaspur, where five of their friends joined them and gang-raped the woman in a house, the police official said.
The next morning, the driver dumped the woman in a near her village, he said adding, first she went to her house and them came to the police station to make her complaint.
A case under section 376 of IPC (punishment for rape) was registered against the seven accused, Singh said. The five arrested were identified as Daler Singh, Ravi, Jaswinder Singh, Jagpreet Singh and Satwant Singh, he said.
The two absconders will be soon arrested and teams have been formed to nab them, he said. Police said that the FIR was registered this evening.
The woman would be sent for medical examination, they said adding in the preliminary interrogation, the accused confessed to their crime.
- MP: Sushma Swaraj, Kamal Nath, Jyotiraditya Scindia among heavyweights in LS poll ring
- Watching TV tied to poor snacking habits, heart disease risk
- Jaswant Singh complains against Vasundhara Raje; poll authorities dismiss it
- Nilekani squandered national resources to US firm: Swamy
- Autonomy: CBI chief says don’t view our demand with suspicion
- I want to stop poverty, they want to stop me: Modi