Woman hangs self at Bandra house
- Govt announces OROP, but can’t win over protesting veterans
- Indrani Mukerjea, Sanjeev Khanna plotted to kill Mikhail Bora in Kolkata: Police
- Army commando lays down his life after killing 10 terrorists
- Govt to develop 'land of enlightenment' Bodh Gaya as spiritual capital
- Migrant crisis: Exhaustion, elation as 5,000 migrants reach Austria, Germany
A 30-year-old woman hanged herself at her Bandra residence on Wednesday. Police said the deceased, Dipti Khanna, is the granddaughter of a retired Navy Captain.
Police officers have not found any suicide note from the victim's residence but believe she took her life owing to depression.
Khar police said Khanna, who stayed at Kalpana Apartments in Rizvi Complex located on Sherly Rajan Road in Bandra (West), hanged herself with a dupatta.
Police said the incident came to light around 12 noon on Wednesday when Khanna's domestic help went to the flat and found her hanging from the edge of a book shelf in the hall.
The domestic help immediately informed Khanna's mother, Tara Kapoor. Kapoor rushed to the spot and informed the police.
Police said Khanna was a divorcee and had been staying alone for the past few years.
"Many alcohol bottles were found from the spot, and according to her mother, Khanna was depressed for a long time and has been living alone," an officer said.
"We are recording the statements of the domestic help and Kapoor to find out whether Khanna gave them any indication before she took the extreme step," the officer said.