Woman jumps down elevator shaft, dies
- David Headley connects the dots: Hafiz Saeed, ISI, failed Mumbai attacks
- David Headley: Travelled to India 8 times, changed name for passport
- Rs 1.14 lakh crore of bad debts: The great government bank write-off
- Caste came up in 3 suicide probes at Hyderabad University
- Uttar Pradesh has been turned into 'Islamic state': Sena mouthpiece on Ghulam Ali concert
Usha Rao (54) allegedly jumped to death from outside her 15th floor flat at Kalpataru Estate in Andheri East early Thursday morning. She was living with husband Nagesh (60).
Their two children, a boy working in a private firm, and a girl, who is studying, had returned from the US to celebrate Nagesh's birthday Wednesday.
At 6 am Thursday, Usha allegedly threw herself down the shaft between elevators outside her home.
The family had dined together Wednesday night and retired at 1 am.
When the family did not see Usha in the morning, it assumed she had gone for a walk. However, she was found bleeding by a building watchman at 6 am and rushed to Cooper Hospital where she was declared dead on arrival.
Postmortem revealed she died of severe injuries to the head and other organs.
The duct through which Usha is said to have jumped is narrow and has pillars at intervals of a few feet.
Her shocked family rubbished suggestions Usha was depressed. "My wife was not depressed. We are trying to find what happened Thursday morning and do not want to comment," said Nagesh.
- We have turned our back to the intense food and drinking water distress
- Strategies anchored in incubators fail to foster entrepreneurship
- Existing regime of film censorship is unconstitutional
- Section 377: A right to love
- PM Oli has been lucky, but his political survival looks uncertain
- Across the aisle- MGNREGA: Making a meal of words