Woman kidnapped by family from High Court premises
- Modi government softens stand on controversial Land Acquisition Bill, says ready for talks
- Gangster Abu Salem sentenced to life imprisonment in Pradeep Jain murder case
- Went to casino for dinner with family, apologise for my choice of venue: Moin Khan
- Ready to discuss issue of alleged stealing of Petroleum ministry documents: Government
- Salman Khan black buck poaching case: Jodhpur court defers verdict
A 21-year-old youth alleged that his wife was kidnapped by her family members from the parking area of the Punjab and Haryana High Court on Wednesday morning.
The newly-wed couple from Bhatinda had approached the court seeking protection from their families when the incident took place. A case of rioting, unlawful assembly and kidnapping has been registered against the girl's father Gurbachan Singh and other relatives, a police officer said.
According to a police officer investigating the case, Swaranjit Singh, a resident of Mehraj village, Bhatinda, had married Sukhdeep Kaur, 20, on Monday. The runaway couple on Wednesday had approached the Punjab and Haryana High Court to seek protection. "At around 9.30 am, when the couple was standing in the parking lot, the girl's father and a few other relatives arrived there and dragged the girl into their vehicle and left the spot," the officer said.
The officer further said, "Singh filed a complaint and we have registered a case under sections 147, 149 and 365 of the IPC against all the accused. Also, a police team has been sent to the girl's house in Mehraj village to rescue her and arrest the accused. Further investigation is in progress."