Woman’s body found in train at New Delhi rly stn
- April 23 campaign roundup: AAP leader Somnath Bharti thrashed by alleged BJP supporters in Varanasi
- Stakes high for BJP, Congress as 11 states go to polls tomorrow; A Raja, Milind Deora in fray
- Arvind Kejriwal beats Narendra Modi in Time magazine's poll of most influential people
- Priyanka Vadra rakes up snooping row to target Narendra Modi
- IPL 7: All-round Jadeja steals show in CSK win
The unidentified body of a woman was found in a plastic bag on Sunday, inside a train at New Delhi railway station.
Police are probing a case of murder as strangulation marks were found on the body.
The incident was reported at 12.30 am on Sunday.
The bag was found on board a train from Panipat to Ghaziabad, which was on platform nine.
According to a senior police officer, "When passengers disembarked the train they found an unclaimed bag lying under the berth. One of the passengers found it suspicious and reported the matter to the railway staff on duty. The staff checked it and found the body inside."
A police team rushed to the railway station.
"We found a white plastic bag under a berth. Another blue plastic bag was found inside it, containing the woman's body," a senior police officer said.
Police said the woman was clad in a brown salwar kameez, brown sweater and pair of brown socks. Her neck and hands were tied with a green plastic rope.
Police said the body does not have any distinct identification marks.
The body has been preserved at the Lok Nayak Hospital mortuary and a case of murder and destruction of evidence has been registered at New Delhi railway station police station.
Police have sent the woman's pictures to various police stations in the city and neighbouring states for identification.
They are trying to trace and question passengers who travelled in the train on Sunday.