Woman sets herself on fire after 'gangrape' in Deoria
- Ghulam Ali's concert in Mumbai cancelled after Shiv Sena's threat
- PM Modi a sensitive person, don't judge him on social media posts: BJP on Dadri lynching
- Why President Mukherjee hit the right notes on core values of 'diversity', 'plurality' and 'tolerance'
- Barack Obama apologises for air strike on Kunduz hospital: White House
- Commercial vehicles entering Delhi to pay environmental tax: NGT
Upset over her alleged gangrape by four men, a woman set herself ablaze in City Kotwali police station area of Deoria district on Monday evening. The victim, who suffered about 80 per cent burns, is battling for life at the district hospital. The police is searching for the accused.
Deoria Superintendent of Police LR Kumar said the woman was "gangraped on Sunday, but told the family only after setting herself on fire the next evening."
The victim's father said that his daughter, who had been staying with him for the last two years following some marital dispute with her husband, was returning home after visiting a friend in a nearby village on Sunday, when Bablu of the same village stopped her and forcibly dragged her to his house, which is in an isolated spot, with the help of his associates Balwant, Gulel and Chhathhu. He said that the accused detained his daughter for over two hours and raped her. She returned home in the evening, did not tell her parents about the incident, and mostly kept confined to her room.