Woman sets herself on fire after 'gangrape' in Deoria
- Rajiv Gandhi assassination case: SC to hear Centre's plea on restraining TN govt from releasing convicts
- With Anna men in âwar roomâ, AAP-like ideas on table, Mamata dreams national
- Leopard on the loose in Meerut, officials order closure of schools and colleges
- Konan Poshpora: Probe official speaks up, says was threatened
- BJP would stop at nothing to grab power and divide state on communal lines, says Rahul
Upset over her alleged gangrape by four men, a woman set herself ablaze in City Kotwali police station area of Deoria district on Monday evening. The victim, who suffered about 80 per cent burns, is battling for life at the district hospital. The police is searching for the accused.
Deoria Superintendent of Police LR Kumar said the woman was "gangraped on Sunday, but told the family only after setting herself on fire the next evening."
The victim's father said that his daughter, who had been staying with him for the last two years following some marital dispute with her husband, was returning home after visiting a friend in a nearby village on Sunday, when Bablu of the same village stopped her and forcibly dragged her to his house, which is in an isolated spot, with the help of his associates Balwant, Gulel and Chhathhu. He said that the accused detained his daughter for over two hours and raped her. She returned home in the evening, did not tell her parents about the incident, and mostly kept confined to her room.
On Monday evening, the woman bolted her room from inside and set herself on fire after pouring kerosene. She was rushed to the hospital where her condition was stated to be critical. At the hospital, the woman told her father about the gangrape last night and the police were informed on Tuesday morning. The victim told the police that she took the extreme step as she was upset over the incident, the SP said. The victim's father alleged that Bablu had been stalking his daughter for the last six months. The SP said the woman also suffered injuries on her private parts, caused by some blunt object.
- 4 more bodies found on Arunachal border, curfew in Assam town
- ‘Polls have come in the way of new norms for tech institutes’
- Food security Act also covers foreign nationals, refugees, says Law Ministry
- Lokayukta meets Bhardwaj over Bill
- Days before school admissions start, HC order on RTE creates confusion
- NGO seeks funds to train HIV+ patients