Woman sets herself on fire after 'gangrape' in Deoria
- David Headley connects the dots: Hafiz Saeed, ISI, failed Mumbai attacks
- David Headley: Travelled to India 8 times, changed name for passport
- Rs 1.14 lakh crore of bad debts: The great government bank write-off
- Caste came up in 3 suicide probes at Hyderabad University
- Uttar Pradesh has been turned into 'Islamic state': Sena mouthpiece on Ghulam Ali concert
Upset over her alleged gangrape by four men, a woman set herself ablaze in City Kotwali police station area of Deoria district on Monday evening. The victim, who suffered about 80 per cent burns, is battling for life at the district hospital. The police is searching for the accused.
Deoria Superintendent of Police LR Kumar said the woman was "gangraped on Sunday, but told the family only after setting herself on fire the next evening."
The victim's father said that his daughter, who had been staying with him for the last two years following some marital dispute with her husband, was returning home after visiting a friend in a nearby village on Sunday, when Bablu of the same village stopped her and forcibly dragged her to his house, which is in an isolated spot, with the help of his associates Balwant, Gulel and Chhathhu. He said that the accused detained his daughter for over two hours and raped her. She returned home in the evening, did not tell her parents about the incident, and mostly kept confined to her room.
- Government must resolve growing burden of non-performing assets
- Outrage over police assault on students is meaningless
- Right to a toilet: For the health, dignity and safety of women in slums
- Raja-Mandala: Maritime India versus Continental Delhi
- The Akhilesh-Mulayam duet
- We have turned our back to the intense food and drinking water distress