Woman stopped from jumping on rly tracks sets self ablaze at police station
- FIR against Giriraj Singh for Modi-Pak remark, BJP pulls him up
- Modi attacks Gandhis again, wonders how Rahul can lead country when he can't handle Amethi
- Malaysian Airlines flight to Bangalore makes air turnback, lands safely
- Vote for BSP to keep fascist forces, dynasty rule at bay: Mayawati to Muslims
- IPL 7: Glen Maxwell plays another blinder, leads KXIP to stunning win
A 21-year-old woman, who was rescued when she tried kill herself by jumping on railway tracks at Sion railway station, set herself ablaze at a police station a little while later. She suffered 65 per cent burns and her condition is said to be serious.
According to railway police, the incident occurred on Monday afternoon. Samira Arif Sheikh, a resident of Chirag Nagar in Ghatkopar, boarded a train at Ghatkopar station and got off at Sion station, an officer said.
She tried to jump on the railway tracks when another commuter, Sabeena Ansari, rescued her and brought her to the police station in Sion around 1 pm.
When Sabeena went inside the police officer's cabin to inform him, Samira allegedly set herself ablaze at the police station.
G S Bhandare, Deputy Commissioner of Railway Police (central zone), said, "The woman is mentally unstable. Her mother has confirmed this." The police have recorded statements of Sabeena as well as Samira's mother. The police intend to register an FIR against Sameera under Section 309 of Indian Penal Code.
Samira was admitted to Sion hospital. She was undergoing counseling for her mental condition, said doctors.
Samira's husband Arif, an auto-rickshaw driver said he was at work when the incident took place.
"Samira wandered off on her own. She left our 15-month old son alone at home. He is now with his aunt," Shaikh said. "I did not know about her condition before marriage," he added.
- ‘We were in a bit of trouble initially but AB came in and he steadied the ship’
- Cops claim body was lifted from crime scene within 20 mins, family says it’s a lie
- After opening loss CSK face resurgent Daredevils
- Kirsten has given me new insight, says Coulter-Nile
- Nomination filed, the other Manpreet Badal goes missing
- M&M keep it sweet for punjab