Woman thrown off Noida highrise building, say police
- Yeddyurappa among 52 Bharatiya Janata Party candidates for Lok Sabha polls
- Malaysia Airlines plane with 5 Indians onboard missing, presumed crashed off Vietnam coast
- No compromise with live-ins or gay rights, moral values supreme: RSS
- Ink attack on AAP leader Yogendra Yadav at Jantar Mantar
- RSP quits LDF, to go alone in Lok Sabha elections
Shweta Saini, a 35-year-old beautician, died on Wednesday after falling off the balcony of her eighth-floor flat in Sector 50, Noida on Tuesday night.
Police on Wednesday claimed that Shweta's 10-year-old daughter saw her being pushed off the balcony.
Shweta lived with daughter Sahiba, niece Deepa and her live-in partner Mukesh Saini (35) at Kailash Dham apartments.
Mukesh has been arrested under Section 306 of the IPC (abetment to suicide) after a complaint by Shweta's brother.
Police officers claimed that Sahiba told them that she saw her mother standing on the balcony at 10 pm on Tuesday after an argument and then she was thrown off. When police later asked her what she saw, she refused to talk.
"Shweta's family members were reluctant to file a complaint. Even when they did, her brother registered a case of abetment to suicide, not murder. Mukesh was held on the basis of the complaint. On Wednesday Sahiba claimed that a man assaulted her mother and threw her off the balcony," Senior SP Praveen Kumar said.
"We now intend to change the Section under which the complaint is filed to 302 (murder). When Mukesh is produced before the magistrate on Thursday, we will convince the child to record a statement under Section 164 of the Criminal Procedure Code," he said.
Shweta, a divorcee, had known Mukesh since her school days. After the divorce, she moved in with Mukesh. Sahiba is a Class VI student.
In a similar highrise death, a 25-year-old woman fell from the seventh floor of her boyfriend's home in Kasna, Greater Noida, on Tuesday night. Her family ruled out foul play, saying she slipped from the balcony.
Deputy SP Alok Priyadarshi said Archana Shukla, who was an executive with a top hotel in Noida, had gone to meet Prashant Varma at his home in AWHO Apartments in Kasna around 7 pm.
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today