Women are strong, no less than men: Amitabh Bachchan
- 12 players, three new teams, IPL officials and owners named in secret report to SC
- Whoâs probing IM? NIA, Delhi Police stories different: HC
- Modi Pak, US dono ko thhokega: BJP S Delhi candidate
- In Cong bastion Nandurbar, you can sense straws in shifting wind
- Doubts surface over murdered Qateelâs âconfessionâ to police
At a time when the nation is reeling from the shocking gangrape of a 23-year-old girl, megastar Amitabh Bachchan is pleased to see a woman win the five-crore jackpot on his game show KBC, showing that women are no less than men.
Housewife Sunmeet Kaur Sawhney has become the first female contestant to have won Rs five crores on Kaun Banega Crorepati.
"In the days that have gone by, where the dignity of a young girl is maligned and brought to shame through the most heinous and disgusting acts of a bunch of animals, it gave me great pleasure to see a woman in a man's world, taking on the many painful experiences, and coming out victorious.
"Her status as a woman was never compromised, and given an opportunity, she has proved to an entire nation, which hangs its head in shame for the GangRape victim, that women are strong and no less than men," the 70-year-old actor posted on his blog.
Bachchan said Mumbai-based Sunmeet, who gave tuitions to young children to add to the family's income, was impeccable in the HotSeat. "She never hesitated on any question, or did any kind of guesswork. At the 1 crore mark she had the option of two life lines... but refused them because she said she was somewhat sure of the answer. And she delivered with honours."
"Well done Sunmeet... I am so proud to be a part of that moment when you turned the tables... When you chose to look after your husband and family... when you decided even before the game started that you would wish to gift a housing to your ailing Mother-in-law, who you have praised as that member of your family who remained close and understanding to you all along...," he added.
- Panel points out holes in report on trees cut, writes to civic chief
- Man who made hoax calls to Jet Airways acquitted
- Metro not quite a vote puller for people in areas it runs
- Stir ends, BEST postpones new work schedule to June 1
- RBI banks on Bandhan, trusts Kolkata NBFC with rare licence
- Gujarat to SC: Woman knew of snooping, was thankful