Women bank to be launched on Indira Gandhi's birthday
- Would prefer to go to Pakistan than stop criticising Modi: Omar Abdullah
- Supreme Court lifts mining ban in Goa, caps iron ore volume
- PMO begins work on Presidentâs Parliament speech for next govt
- In this TN seat, Cong, BJP and AAP take centrestage
- To prevent polarisation, EC tells Delhi Police âdonât publicise workâ
Plans are afoot to launch the country's first all women bank - Bharatiya Mahila Bank- on November 19, the birth anniversary of former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi.
"We have asked the Election Commission. It (the bank) might be inaugurated on November 19. All work has been completed.
"But whether we can do it on November 19, whether we can do it in Delhi or in other city, these are matters my secretary is talking to the Election Commission," Finance Minister P Chidambaram said at a press conference Delhi.
The government is seeking Election Commission's nod for launch of the bank, proposed in the Union Budget, as the process of assembly elections in five states, including Delhi, is on.
The public sector Bharatiya Mahila Bank proposes to have 25 branches by March 31, 2014.
The government has already approved Rs 1,000 crore seed capital for the women focused public sector bank, announced by Finance Minister P Chidambaram in his budget speech.The proposed bank, to be headquartered at Delhi, is likely to be operational by November 2013.
Reserve Bank of India gave its in-principal approval for the Bharatiya Mahila Bank in June and the banking company is being set up, the official added.
One of the key objective of the Bank is focus on the banking needs of women and promote economic empowerment.
The bank has invited applications through online mode from female candidates for 115 posts.
- Five months after gruesome ATM attack, accused still at large
- Ex-syndicate member of Bangalore University held in marks-for-cash scam
- Accused get bail as police fail to file chargesheet
- ‘Naxals collected info on trucks carrying explosives from Khadki to Ahmednagar’
- A tale of two villages: Ramayan and Mahabharat
- UP CM tears into Modi bastion on first visit to Gujarat, says Third Front ready