Women bus conductors would prove counterproductive: Shobhaa
- Winter session Day 1: Govt talks about misuse of word 'secularism', Sonia raises 'intolerance' debate
- Sheena murder: CBI seeks Interpol help, Peter Mukerjea's custody extended till Nov 30
- PPCC chief Bajwa and Jakhar made to resign as rejig in Punjab Congress imminent
- Constitution Day: The many reasons why the BJP decided to celebrate it
- India-Pakistan series to be played from December 15 in Sri Lanka: Rajiv Shukla
Demanding strict laws to protect women in the country, author and columnist Shobhaa De today said introducing women bus conductors and drivers would not help to curb the atrocities on women rather put these women workers at risk.
"Women bus conductors would themselves be in danger from some of those who board the bus at night. This is a sad reality of India today that women are not safe," De said at Apeejay Kolkata Literary Festival (AKLF) here.
As a fallout of the brutal Delhi gangrape incident inside a bus, suggestions have come up from various quarters to introduce women bus conductors.
"We need to understand as to why rapes are happening in our country. We need action from the legal process. Token action like introducing women conductors will not help," said the author who had written the script of the popular soap 'Swabhimaan' dealing with the struggle of a woman.
De demanded that new laws should be introduced in the country which protect women from not just rape but all kinds of atrocities, domestic violence in particular.
The author, whose latest novel 'Sethji' begins with the brutal rape of a student from North-East, regretted that incidents of rape remain a deep dark secret buried even inside the high society.
"Most of such cases go unreported and the women end up being silent about it. Rape is a universal problem and happens in all societies and class," said the socialite.
When asked by reporters to comment on the debate of how women should dress up to avoid sexual assaults, De said clothing should be according to the occasion.
- True patriotism requires you to be able to say I am ashamed of my country in certain respects
- Douglass North emphasised institutions when markets were the focus
- ‘Bovine Divine’ controversy lurched between the horrific and the comic
- PM Modi’s achievements abroad appear to cut little ice back home
- Post 13/11 sloganeering at Antalya and Kuala Lumpur won’t be enough
- Can Parliament be insulated from the vagaries of the political climate?