Women deserted by NRI husbands air grievances
- IPL spot-fixing: Delhi court drops charges against S Sreesanth and two other cricketers
- Nitish Kumar gets back at Modi, accuses him for 'not honouring promises'
- Major decisions on revision of role of women in armed forces on the anvil: Manohar Parrikar
- Congress, TMC and BJD to seek total withdrawal of NDA's land bill
- Never sought travel documents for Lalit Modi, says Sushma Swaraj
Bringing the problem of fake NRI marriages into focus, a Ludhiana-based NGO in association with the Centre created a platform to discuss core issue and ways to resolve fraud marriages of Punjabi women to NRIs..
Ludhiana Citizens Health Council organised a national workshop on 'Mental and Social Trauma Among Women Deserted by NRI Husbands: Role of Law Enforcing Agencies' under the aegis of Indian Council of Social Science Research, Ministry of Human Resource Development, on Saturday at Guru Nanak Khalsa College for Women.
During this programme some of the deserted women of NRI husbands of Punjab also came out openly to share their grievances with the senior police officers and members of judiciaries for seeking remedial measures and legal aid.
The main aim of the workshop was to discuss the magnitude of the problem, efforts being made by the law enforcing agencies at the state and central level and workout an appropriate innovative strategies through inter -sector approach to combat the increasing incidences of desertion among girls married to NRI husbands.
Dr P S Jassi, former director health services, Punjab, gave the keynote address during workshop. He said that there is a great need to address the wide spread problem of fake NRI marriages through different forums. He stressed that commitment and cooperation from every sector of society is required to curb this social menace.