Women empowered through driving cabs
- Delhi High Court raps MCD for strike, says common people are suffering
- Delhi air will never be safe because of its geographical disadvantage: Panel tells High Court
- Tanzanian student targeted because she was black, says envoy
- Supreme Court tells BCCI: Fall in line, Lodha panel report deserves respect
- Adarsh scam: CBI gets Maha Governor's nod to prosecute Ashok Chavan
A few years ago, a woman taxi driver would have been unheard of. Today, as many as 50 professional drivers/ chauffeurs are cruising the roads of Delhi ferrying women passengers and their families. These women, handpicked from marginalised sections of the society, have been trained and 'developed' by Sakha Consulting Wings, a social enterprise launched to provide safe transport solutions for women and by women.
While a similar initiative might have not taken flight here in Chandigarh, Meenu Vadera, founder-director of Sakha Consulting Wings believes it pays to be patient and committed. "It's not just driving skills that are imparted to these women. It's a more holistic approach - be it counselling, grooming, self defence, et al," mentioned Vadera.