Women empowered through driving cabs
- In Delhi, Hardik Patel says he will take movement across country
- Bihar: BJP hits back, says it was not a Swabhiman rally but Apman rally
- Hindu women should never marry outside community: Sadhvi Niranjan Jyoti
- Ready to amend Land Acquisition Act, ordinance will lapse tomorrow: PM
- Sheena murder case: Suitcase seized, accused taken to Raigad forest to 'recreate' crime scene
A few years ago, a woman taxi driver would have been unheard of. Today, as many as 50 professional drivers/ chauffeurs are cruising the roads of Delhi ferrying women passengers and their families. These women, handpicked from marginalised sections of the society, have been trained and 'developed' by Sakha Consulting Wings, a social enterprise launched to provide safe transport solutions for women and by women.
While a similar initiative might have not taken flight here in Chandigarh, Meenu Vadera, founder-director of Sakha Consulting Wings believes it pays to be patient and committed. "It's not just driving skills that are imparted to these women. It's a more holistic approach - be it counselling, grooming, self defence, et al," mentioned Vadera.