Women empowered through driving cabs
- Netaji files show family was under observation, intercepted communication hinted at sightings
- Indian fisherman allegedly killed in Pakistan firing off Gujarat coast
- Maharashtra government transfers Sheena Bora murder case to Central Bureau of Investigation
- Another drowned toddler washes up on Turkish beach: report
- Taliban attack on Pakistan base kills 29; 16 die in mosque
A few years ago, a woman taxi driver would have been unheard of. Today, as many as 50 professional drivers/ chauffeurs are cruising the roads of Delhi ferrying women passengers and their families. These women, handpicked from marginalised sections of the society, have been trained and 'developed' by Sakha Consulting Wings, a social enterprise launched to provide safe transport solutions for women and by women.
While a similar initiative might have not taken flight here in Chandigarh, Meenu Vadera, founder-director of Sakha Consulting Wings believes it pays to be patient and committed. "It's not just driving skills that are imparted to these women. It's a more holistic approach - be it counselling, grooming, self defence, et al," mentioned Vadera.