Women leaders condemn 'misbehaviour' towards Sunanda Pushkar
- 15 security personnel killed as Naxals attack CRPF convoy in Chhattisgarh
- Malaysia military believes it has tracked missing jet over Strait of Malacca
- Bhagwat cautions RSS cadres against crossing limits for BJP
- Narendra Modi's new found love for Bihar a ploy to win votes: Nitish Kumar
- Dalit teen canât pay to cheat in exam, immolates himself
Setting aside political differences, women organisations in Kerala have condemned the alleged misbehaviour by a Congress worker towards Union Minister Shashi Tharoor's wife Sunanda Pushkar at the airport here.
The incident occurred on Monday when Congress workers in the city gathered at the airport to accord a rousing reception to Tharoor, who had arrived along with his wife after being sworn in as a minister at the Centre.
In the melee, a 19-year-old youth, said to be a Congress worker, allegedly misbehaved with Sunanda, who had to force her way angrily through the crowd.
Though the Tharoor couple were initially anguished over the incident and planned to lodge a police complaint, they later decided not to press for action after the youth apologised for the "misconduct" on his part.
However, women organisations of both Congress and Left parties want the authorities to take suo motu action in the incident.
State Women's Commission Chairperson and former Congress MLA K C Rosakutty said if such an incident had happened it was quite unfortunate and shameful to the state as a whole.
State secretary of CPI(M)'s women's wing AIDWA K K Shylaja demanded the arrest of the youth.
According to Tharoor's spokesperson, the minister's first reaction was that anybody who misbehaved towards a woman should be taken to task. Later, when the youth expressed deep regret for what had happened, Tharoor and his wife decided not to lodge a police complaint against the youth.
- Eight held for ‘attacking’ Dalit wedding procession in Sabarkantha
- 90 airports on alert to check movement of cash ahead of elections
- Notices to 23 hospitals for withdrawing facility
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- In Mumbai, teacher’s love story with student ends in her arrest
- Govt dismisses AAP allegations
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- Kejriwal Gujarat tour: The unfamiliar politician | The Indian Express