Women’s issues take the lead in tableaux of Republic Day
- My government will not be vindictive: Narendra Modi on Robert Vadra
- Serious allegations against N Srinivasan in IPL spot-fixing probe report, keep him away from BCCI: Supreme Court
- Rahul tears into Narendra Modi's 'toffee model' development in Gujarat
- Karnataka: At least six burnt to death, 12 injured as bus catches fire
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Sonia to address rally in Telangana; Smriti Irani to file nomination shortly
While crime against women has taken centre stage everywhere, the same was visible in the tableaux of Republic Day at SD Government College where the district-level function was organised.
The police department's tableau depicted crime against women. A helpline 0161-1091 was also displayed which is only for the complaints against women. In addition, the scene showed shattered women sitting against a dead body.
The police authorities said that since they had started a woman helpline number, they thought of promoting it through their tableau. Also, the tableau of the health department highlighted the drive against female foeticide and made people aware of their rights.
The tableau of the social security department showed Lohri of girls, giving a message to celebrate the birth of not only boys but also of girls. A total of 16 tableaux of various departments were shown in this function which included dairy development, fisheries and agriculture department.
Three students who bagged first prize at district level in national integration and communal harmony essay writing competitions were also honoured. They were Harpreet Kaur, Salona and Archit Chadha.