Women’s issues take the lead in tableaux of Republic Day
- PM Modi should resign if he can't ask four ministers to step down: Congress
- Lalit Modi names 2 Indian, 1 West Indian cricketer who were bribed
- Kerala bar bribery case: Relief for Mani as anti-corruption body decides against chargesheet
- No charging check-in baggage: Government on budget airlines' move
- Delhi court allows TERI chief R K Pachauri to travel to USA
While crime against women has taken centre stage everywhere, the same was visible in the tableaux of Republic Day at SD Government College where the district-level function was organised.
The police department's tableau depicted crime against women. A helpline 0161-1091 was also displayed which is only for the complaints against women. In addition, the scene showed shattered women sitting against a dead body.
The police authorities said that since they had started a woman helpline number, they thought of promoting it through their tableau. Also, the tableau of the health department highlighted the drive against female foeticide and made people aware of their rights.
The tableau of the social security department showed Lohri of girls, giving a message to celebrate the birth of not only boys but also of girls. A total of 16 tableaux of various departments were shown in this function which included dairy development, fisheries and agriculture department.
Three students who bagged first prize at district level in national integration and communal harmony essay writing competitions were also honoured. They were Harpreet Kaur, Salona and Archit Chadha.