Women’s panel gets a chief after 11 months
- After arrest, Jitender Singh Tomar resigns as Delhi Law Minister
- Army begins operation near Myanmar border, kills militants involved in Manipur ambush
- Joint CP Mukesh Kumar Meena hits back, says he took charge at ACB under L-G's orders
- Congress president Sonia Gandhi accuses PM Modi of 'U-turns, falsehoods'
- UP minister booked for burning journalist to death over Facebook post
The state government today appointed Zarina Usmani as chairperson of the State Women Commission (SWC). The post was lying vacant for nearly 11 months. Suman Yadav and Surbhi Shukla were also appointed vice-chairpersons of SWC.
Most of the state commissions are lying vacant since Akhilesh Yadav took charge as Chief Minister on March 15 last year.
In SWC, Abha Agnihotri, the sister of Bahujan Samaj Party general secretary Satish Chandra Mishra, had resigned on March 14, 2012. Since then the post was vacant.
Zarina is a veteran Samajwadi Party worker of Lucknow. In Mulayam Singh Yadav's regime, she was a member of the SWC. Suman is a former general secretary of U P College in Varanasi. She was state secretary in Samajwadi Chatra Sabha. Hailing from Sultanpur, Surbhi was appointed chairman of the State Council for Educational Research and Training (SCERT) on February 1 only to be removed within 24 hours. Surbhi is presently national secretary of the SP women's wing. After her ouster, she was constantly pursuing her case with Mulayam.
The state government is yet appointments to eight posts of Information Commissioners lying vacant in the State Information Commission. The SC/ST Commission is headless since March 12 last year, State Backward Commission since March 16 and State Minorities Commission since March 14.