Women should be conscious of what they wear: Trinamool MP
- Excessive rains wreak havoc in several states, 81 die due to flood
- Govt, Congress in war of words ahead of all-party meet
- Malaysia seeks help in finding more possible MH370 debris
- Sushma Swaraj has committed no crime: Parrikar on Lalit Modi case
- Congress hits back at Mahesh Sharma over his 'no work, no pay' remark
Reviving the age-old debate on how women should dress, actor-turned Trinamool MP Chiranjit Chakroborty said women should be "conscious" of what they wear.
"We should definitely work towards removing this stigma but again women can be a little more conscious about what they are wearing," Chiranjit said at the Barasat police station where he had gone to inquire regarding an eve-teasing case.
He, however, asserted, "Any act of eve-teasing should be condemned and the culprit caught and punished."
Chiranjit inquired about the progress made in the case involving a youth who was caught allegedly teasing a girl at Barasat railway station in North 24 Parganas district last night.
The girl, a resident of Banamalipur, was returning from tuition when the accused Ramesh Das started teasing her. He was caught by people at the station and was beaten up.
The girl's father was also present at the station, sources said.
Das was then handed over to the police, produced before a local court that remanded him to judicial custody for 14 days.