Women should prefer Rampuri in purse rather than lipstick: Shiv Sena
- Manohar Parrikar sticks to stand, warns of action against Coast Guard officer
- Coast Guard DIG on video: Blow the Pak boat off, we don’t want to serve them biryani
- Clean chit to AAP: Nothing wrong with foreign funding, Centre tells HC
- Fake encounter case: D G Vanzara walks free; says "Acche Din" have arrived
- Defence is at heart of Make in India programme, says PM Modi at Bangalore Aero show
A local functionary of Shiv Sena on Wednesday distributed knives to women for "enhancing their personal security" in the backdrop of recent attacks against women.
At a function held on the birth anniversary of late Sena chief Bal Thackeray at Lalbaug in central Mumbai,Shiv Sainiks distributed Chinese retractable knives to women so that they can protect themselves.
Poll: Women & Liberty
"Thackeray used to say women should prefer a Rampuri in their purse rather than a lipstick," Sena's south region 'vibhag pramukh' Ajay Chaudhry said, defending the initiative.
"The government has failed to provide security to women, so we are distributing these knives to help them defend themselves," he added.
According to law, a knife below six inch blade is permitted, a Sena member said. The knives distributed today were China-made knives with three inches blade.
Asked if the Sena leadership was aware of the knives distribution programme, a senior Sena leader said the event was held at the local level.