Women should prefer Rampuri in purse rather than lipstick: Shiv Sena
- Arvind Kejriwal calls 'emergency' Assembly session to discuss Centre's notification on Lt Governor's role
- Celebrations in AIADMK camp as Jayalalithaa becomes Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- No full statehood rights to Delhi unless there is consensus, says Arun Jaitley
- Gujjar protest to continue as talks with Rajasthan govt fail
- Heat wave toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana reaches 223
A local functionary of Shiv Sena on Wednesday distributed knives to women for "enhancing their personal security" in the backdrop of recent attacks against women.
At a function held on the birth anniversary of late Sena chief Bal Thackeray at Lalbaug in central Mumbai,Shiv Sainiks distributed Chinese retractable knives to women so that they can protect themselves.
Poll: Women & Liberty
"Thackeray used to say women should prefer a Rampuri in their purse rather than a lipstick," Sena's south region 'vibhag pramukh' Ajay Chaudhry said, defending the initiative.
"The government has failed to provide security to women, so we are distributing these knives to help them defend themselves," he added.
According to law, a knife below six inch blade is permitted, a Sena member said. The knives distributed today were China-made knives with three inches blade.
Asked if the Sena leadership was aware of the knives distribution programme, a senior Sena leader said the event was held at the local level.