Women should prefer Rampuri in purse rather than lipstick: Shiv Sena
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
A local functionary of Shiv Sena on Wednesday distributed knives to women for "enhancing their personal security" in the backdrop of recent attacks against women.
At a function held on the birth anniversary of late Sena chief Bal Thackeray at Lalbaug in central Mumbai,Shiv Sainiks distributed Chinese retractable knives to women so that they can protect themselves.
Poll: Women & Liberty
"Thackeray used to say women should prefer a Rampuri in their purse rather than a lipstick," Sena's south region 'vibhag pramukh' Ajay Chaudhry said, defending the initiative.
"The government has failed to provide security to women, so we are distributing these knives to help them defend themselves," he added.
According to law, a knife below six inch blade is permitted, a Sena member said. The knives distributed today were China-made knives with three inches blade.
Asked if the Sena leadership was aware of the knives distribution programme, a senior Sena leader said the event was held at the local level.
- â€˜Someone should remind the CM weâ€™re also aam aadmi. But theyâ€™ve turned us intoÂ demonsâ€™
- Kapil Sibal to contest from Chandni Chowk in 2014, even if Arvind Kejriwal inÂ fray
- AAP names Bharti victims, uploads eight videos targeting Africans in Delhi
- Arvind Kejriwal likely to pass Jan Lokpal Bill in February, says the fight for new independence hasÂ begun