Women vow off Facebook, Sena justifies arrests
- Lok Sabha polls: Ram Vilas Paswan returns to NDA as BJP-LJP agree on seat-sharing
- UP Police raids Sahara chief Subrata Roy's residence, fails to arrest him
- BJP, AAP and NCP release candidates list for general elections
- TRS MP Vijayashanthi joins Congress day after party rules out merger
- Rahul Gandhi slams Salman Khurshid over 'impotent' remark against Narendra Modi
Maharashtra Home Minister R R Patil said the report of the inquiry into the arrest of the women was expected by Wednesday. "It will look into whether the arrests were warranted and whether the sections applied were correct. It will also investigate the vandalism," he said.
Shiv Sena spokesman Sanjay Raut, however, justified the police action, saying: "The bandh was spontaneous... It was because of love and respect for Balasaheb. Shiv Sainiks were naturally upset at the misuse of social media."
Shaheen Dhada, who had put up a post questioning Sunday's shutdown, said on Tuesday, "I have apologised for the post," and added that whatever happened was unfair. She also said that she would never use the social media site again. She refused to comment on whether she had done anything wrong, but described Thackeray as a "great guy" whom they "truly respected".
While expressing "regret", Renu Shrinivas questioned her "wrongful" arrest for 'liking' Dhada's post. "This should not have happened. I never dreamt that I would be in court. What we did was not a crime. Now I will think twice before posting anything on Facebook," she said.
Dr Abdul Dhada, Shaheen's uncle whose clinic was ransacked, said he had suffered losses. "What has gone wrong should not happen again," he said. He added the family had no complaint against anybody, and had faith in the police.
"So far, we have arrested nine persons in connection with ransacking of the clinic. We are looking for some more people," SP, Thane Rural, Ravindra Sengaokar told PTI.
- Fancy numbers: RTO in PCMC earns Rs 8 crore
- Alarm in Ukraine as Putin orders surprise army drills on border
- Arrests made but two sensational murders still unsolved
- Infosys ex-CFO not to contest polls for AAP
- Monsoon, not Manmohan, led to agri growth: Yashwant
- Now, BJP workers to donate blood equal to Modi’s weight