Women with longer ring finger than their index more successful in life
- 'Shahzada' and 'Matashree' are only concerned about being in power, says Modi; Sonia harps on secularism
- Supreme Court commutes death penalty of Devinderpal Singh Bhullar to life term
- Arun Jaitley rules out Modi's apology on 2002 Gujarat riots
- Former Pak President Pervez Musharraf indicted in treason case
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Modi accuses the Congress of misusing money in Arunachal; Kejriwal to meet L-G Najeeb Jung
The size of a woman's ring finger can predict her entrepreneurship, career interests, and a host of other traits essential to success in a high stakes, high tech career, a new research has suggested.
Economists Aldo Rustichini and Luigi Guiso hired a small army of 200 assistants to go out and interview over two thousand Italian men and women small-business owners and founders.
While taking interviews, the scholars also captured images the entrepreneurs' right hand palms to measure the length of their ring fingers relative to their index fingers, according to the Huffington Post.
Surprisingly they found that the ratio of index to ring finger correlates with traits such as spatial ability, risk-taking, and assertiveness. It's connected to success in competitive sports like soccer and skiing.
More interestingly, their analysis of the photos found that the more successful the entrepreneur, the longer the ring finger compared to the index finger. The most successful entrepreneurs had ring fingers 10 per cent to 20 per cent longer than their index finge.
This finding probably sounds downright absurd. But it's not really about the length of your fingers. Finger length is actually just a marker of what was going on in your mother's womb.
A couple months into gestation, fingers sprout and elongate, and, also during that time, the early limbic brain gets organized. Both of these are affected by the prevalence of the hormones testosterone and estrogen, which come both from the fetus's own sex glands and the mother's bloodstream.
The fetal ring finger has many receptors for both hormones on it, and the index finger has fewer receptors. Testosterone lengthens the fetal fingers, while estrogen stops their growth, and thus the balance of the two hormones can affect the ring finger and index finger differently. The two hormones simultaneously shape the development of the brain.
- MP: Sushma Swaraj, Kamal Nath, Jyotiraditya Scindia among heavyweights in LS poll ring
- Watching TV tied to poor snacking habits, heart disease risk
- Jaswant Singh complains against Vasundhara Raje; poll authorities dismiss it
- Nilekani squandered national resources to US firm: Swamy
- Autonomy: CBI chief says don’t view our demand with suspicion
- I want to stop poverty, they want to stop me: Modi